Switch to full style

Moderator Control Panel

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here
Post a reply

1911 Census blocked end column

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi I read in one issue about the final column of the 1911 census being made available. Does anyone know when this is happening and will this be across all the main sites ie Ancestry or just on 1911?

Re: 1911 Census blocked end column

Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 pm

The final column (infirmity, etc) in the 1911 census for England and Wales, Channel Islands, Isle of Man but not Scotland was released last year, it had been blocked out (as personal information on people who might still be alive) as part of the decision by the Information Commissioner's Office that the rest coud be released following the numerous requests to release the census before the 100-year closure period elapsed. Companies like ancestry got the images before 2012 and therefore they have the old version, it seems rather odd given that a few months later the whole version would be available.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:37 pm

This has intrigued me as well so I emailed ancestry and had the following reply today -

'Due to the new interactive image viewer introduced for the 1911 census on ancestry unveiling the infirmity column has been a much larger technical project than first estimated. We apologise for the delay but are still unable to give an exact launch date at this time.'

So I suppose it's a case of watch this space. Hope this helps.

Rita

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:58 pm

many thanks

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:05 pm

The reply from Ancestry is correct
Due to the way the 1911 was digitised there is a lot of work involved in linking the previously redacted column to the correct census return. This is because the order of returns was not constant.
It takes many manhours to combine the two parts to form the complete census.

However it should be noted that the original release of the 1911 census was unlawfully censored and Ancestry should claim compensation from the GRO for the extra costs involved.

Why unlawfully censored? The Information Commissioner's ruling demanded that the census was made fully available except for sensitive information.
The GRO decided to ignore that demand and redact a column even if it contained no sensitive information for the particular entry.
This was a breach of the law.
Cheers
Guy

Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:45 pm

Guy,

I am afraid you are wrong. The end column was not redacted by the General Register Office but by The National Archives who had the records after they were transferred to them and following the decision by the Information Commissioner. The end column for all of the schedules were redacted whether they had information or not, it would have been sdifficult to look at every schedule. Whilst this might seem to be unfair especially for individuals who were over 100 years old it is better than not having the records closed until 2012 and there was a statement by The National Archives to explain this. Had ancestry waited a few months they would have had the complete schedules!.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:21 pm

junkers wrote:Guy,

I am afraid you are wrong. The end column was not redacted by the General Register Office but by The National Archives who had the records after they were transferred to them and following the decision by the Information Commissioner. The end column for all of the schedules were redacted whether they had information or not, it would have been sdifficult to look at every schedule. Whilst this might seem to be unfair especially for individuals who were over 100 years old it is better than not having the records closed until 2012 and there was a statement by The National Archives to explain this. Had ancestry waited a few months they would have had the complete schedules!.

Yes, of course it was the National Archives, I must be losing my memory.

However that does not alter the essence of the posting. The IC's decision was that none of the information should be automatically redacted, but that each request was looked at separately and judged on its merits.

"54. The Commissioner concludes by emphasising that each request for 1911 census
information must be treated separately on its merits.
The National Archives will
need to consider the substance of the information which has been requested in
each case, will need to review what is stated on the face of the relevant census
schedule and may need to make further enquires." (My underlining)

The decision to redact the entire column has cost the hosting companies quite large sums of money which has in turn been passed on to their subscribers.

I didn't contest the redacting as I had already been informed that the infirmity column was back for number 12, High Street, Bottesford, the address I had chosen to base my claim on.
I did however advise others not to accept the blanket redacting.
Cheers
Guy
Post a reply