Moderator Control Panel ]

Gunner Henry Lambert Bramwell RGA

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Gunner Henry Lambert Bramwell RGA

Postby ritah » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:46 pm

Is anyone researching this man or know anyone who is?

There is a seller on ebay who has a set of papers for sale for this man who was born in Aberdeen. The papers look like attestation papers and photos etc in a hard cover. This would be a great find for any family members.

The item number on ebay is 140957210177 and the auction closes on 23rd April at 9.46pm.

Rita
ritah

Re: Gunner Henry Lambert Bramwell RGA

Postby junkers » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:08 pm

He does not appear to have been born in Aberdeenshire (it actually says near Aberdeen from what I can see) as he is not on Scotland's People as being born in Scotland and he may be the same person who was found to be owing maintenance money to his wife in the 1920s (see the various Gazettes from London and Edinburgh). I do disagree that that this would be a great find for his family as the papers should in my view be in The National Archives (these may be copies) and I can't see them there and therefore available to descendants and researchers in the future, if it was one of my ancestors I would not be happy that they were in private hands somewhere.
junkers

Postby Sylcec » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 am

Yes, junkers, army service records are available from the National Archives in WO97 (and digitised on FMP). However, what this seller is offering are original records and photos which any descendent/relative would probably be pleased to have. If there is none, then I would hope that these records can find their way to the Regimental or National Army Museum.
Sylcec

Postby ritah » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:47 am

Junkers - the purpose of my post was to reunite these papers, and particularly photographs, with this man's descendants rather than them end up in the hands of a collector with no direct connection to the person. Presumably they were disposed of by this man or a relative at some stage otherwise they would not now be on sale. Many families, mine included, do not have early photos of their family so would be grateful to have something to fill in a gap, perhaps you are fortunate in this respect.

I agree that if the papers are originals they should be deposited in a suitable place and hopefully the purchaser will follow that up.

Rita
ritah

Return to Military help