Moderator Control Panel ]

Help finding Chelsea Pensioner

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Help finding Chelsea Pensioner

Postby marisol » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:40 pm

My query is about Francis Peat (my great x3 grandfather). He is listed as a 'soldier' on his son David Peat's marriage certificate and as a 'out pensioner of Chelsea hospital' on his widow Lucy Peat's death certificate in 1860.

I have checked the Chelsea Pensioners information on Find My Past, but have not found anything. I don't know if he really was a soldier or if this was wishful thinking. I wondered whether anyone could help.

His details are as follows (information supplied by one of my cousins):

Francis Peat
b. circa 1785 Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire
m. 29/8/1813 Maulden, Bedfordshire
d. July 1825 probably Tottenhoe, Bedfordshire
bur. ?15 July 1825 Tottenhoe, Bedfordshire
marisol

Re: Help finding Chelsea Pensioner

Postby Sylcec » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Even though you didn't find him in the WO97 Chelsea Pension Service records I would have expected that you might find him in the WO 120 or WO 121series. It would help if you had some idea what regiment he was in. Have you tracked the baptisms of his children and noted his occupation at these times?

Checking on Familysearch, I found 4 children to Francis & Lucy (nee Cox):
Rhodah 5 June 1814 (Maulden)
Benjamin 29 Dec 1816 (Totternhoe)
David 30 May 1819 (Totternhoe)
John 28 Dec 1822 (Totternhoe)

This sort of pattern of births/baptisms in one area does not fit very well with military service in my opinion. However, if you are able to look at the original baptism registers they may include Francis' occupation at the time. So, it may be that he saw some service as a very young man, was injured or had a serious illness, and was pensioned prior to his marriage. However, there should still be a record somewhere. Have you checked FMP for alternate spellings such as PEET, PEATE, etc ?
Sylcec

Postby DavidG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:20 pm

I've had a look on Forces War Records for you but can't find anything under Francis Peat or any variant of Peat I'm afraid.

To qualify as a Chelsea Pensioner you would have had to complete 20 years service or gained enough years from overseas service (for example you were given extra years for being at Waterloo and serving in the Army of Occupation in France).

I would also suggest that you check the Parish Registers to see what occupation he gave at the Baptism of each of his children and even his own marriage/banns as they sometimes give the Grooms occupation.
DavidG

Postby junkers » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:09 pm

I have been unable to find Lucy's death in 1860 to see if it helps and I agree that looking at Francis' burial register entry might help. Whilst 'soldier' could also mean being in the militia the reference to being a Chelsea Hospital Out-Pensioner seems to be confirming the 'soldier' information, when was David married?.
junkers

Postby Artognou » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:00 pm

I too had a look, also in the UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Registers of Soldiers Who Served in Canada, 1743-1882, which is where I found an ancestor of a friend of mine who was listed as a 'Retired Chelsie (sic) Pensioner' in the 1851 census, he had served for about 21 years and this register was written in 1817.
It also lists the injuries too, where applicable.

Sadly I couldn't find anything about your ancestor either, I did try to alter the surname a bit, just in case, because with the aforementioned gentleman, he was listed as being from Tootbaldwin/Fortbaldwin, Oxfordshire, which is actually Toot Baldon.
Artognou

Return to Military help