Moderator Control Panel ]

Another WW1 uniform to identify please

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Another WW1 uniform to identify please

Postby phil_a » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:23 pm

I think this chap may be Hector Cullen (born 1900) or his brother William Cullen (born 1897). Its only a thumbnail sized photo found in my grand-mothers album, so sorry the detail is poor. Can anyone deduce anything from it? I'm afraid my knowledge of these uniforms is near zero.

Thanks

Phil
Attachments
1919~ BTA P09 Top Row L-R 1.jpg
1919~ BTA P09 Top Row L-R 1.jpg (57.97 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
phil_a

Re: Another WW1 uniform to identify please

Postby Sylcec » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:19 am

Although I can't see the name scroll at the bottom of the badge - visible parts of the uniform combined with the cap badge are indicative of one of the Hussar regiments. The following are possible.
3rd (Prince of Wales) Dragoon Guards.
10th (Prince of Wales Own) Royal Hussars
12th (Prince of Wales Royal) Lancers
Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians)

An expert will be able to correct or be more exact about this.
Sylcec

Postby phil_a » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks very much Sylcec, that gives me something to go on. I should have stated, in case its not clear that if he is who I think he is, he would be British. Would that rule out the Royal Canadians?
phil_a

Postby junkers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:38 pm

I think you can rule out Hector as even if he lied about his age as some did then he would have only been 19 at the end of the First World War and there appears to be no medal card for him. He was working on the railways in 1915, see ancestry, but when did he leave?. Even if it was William then he appears to have been in the Army Service Corps and I am sure this is not the correct uniform.
junkers

Postby phil_a » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks for that, yes I think you are right, but it leaves me with the question of who he is in my grandma's album, and knowing the uniform should help. I'm assuming he would be family as all the other photos in there are. I'll have to look for others in the family tree that are the right age.

Thanks again all who replied.
phil_a

Postby g w aldous » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 am

the capbadge is of the hussars, later capbadges had another scroll below with The Royal Hussars on it, the one you have here has ICH DIEN on it ( I SERVE ).
looking into it a bit more I can tell you it is the capbadge of The Prince of Wales Own Royal Wiltshire Hussars (yeomanry).http://hussars.org/wp/?page_id=94
g w aldous

Postby phil_a » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:30 am

Bingo, yes that's a brilliant link all about them and the badge looks to be a perfect match, thank you. That site says the regiment was in France 1915 to 1918 serving as both Cavalry and Infantry, and I know my grandfather was in Ypres area in the early part of the war so perhaps this chap was a compatriot of his. Is there any significance in the toggle on his jacket as opposed to, I thought, the normal buttons?
phil_a

Return to Photo identification