Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform information

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Uniform information

Postby Loish711 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 am

Herbert Garrett1.jpg
Herbert Garrett1.jpg (100.27 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Can someone please identify this uniform
Last edited by Loish711 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Loish711

Re: Uniform information

Postby Sylcec » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Which man, which uniform? It is very difficult to see what you are after without copying the pics out and viewing in another program. Suggest that after scanning small pics onto A4, that you edit the image by cropping all the white space off so you are just left with the picture.

However .... the cap badge of the standing man in the right hand photo looks quite distinctive - only I can't see a match for it in my little book of military badges and buttons! Hopefully one of the military experts will come give you the answer.
Sylcec

Postby Loish711 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:34 am

Ernest Garrett2.jpg
Ernest Garrett2.jpg (78.8 KiB) Viewed 2049 times
Sorry about that,my father has just given me a lot of photos after 15 years of research and I was truely excited as it's a side of the family I don't know much about so I forgot to crop it. I think it's the same uniform but as my grandad's brother has a cap on in the second photo I thought it might be easier to identify. I have found one of his brothers army records on Ancestry and it says he was in the Yorkshire and Lancashire regiment so I presume my grandfather was too. Can anyone confirm this ?
Here are two more pictures that seem to show the same uniform but with different additions.
Loish711

Postby g w aldous » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:02 am

it is the same uniform but different regiment. the second is royal artillery. the first is I think wearing a stretcher bearers armband. the photos you have are 1, a stretcher bearer. 2, a man seated appears to be wearing a silver war badge so was probably discharged for wounds, I also believe him to be the soldier in pic 3. I think pics 1 & 3 are early and the pic 2 is at the end of the war.
g w aldous

Postby Loish711 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks you so much for that information it really helps place my family photos and gives me clues about the brothers' role in WW1 :)
Loish711

Return to Photo identification