Moderator Control Panel ]

Ayrshire Militia

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Ayrshire Militia

Postby amcallaghan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:03 pm

Does anyone know if lists were kept of ordinary soldiers in the Ayrshire Militia in the early 1800s? My 4xg.grandfather, James McGowan (or McGown) was listed as being in the Ayrshire Militia in 1811 when he married a local girl, Annie Boltan, on Arran (I assume he was stationed here as the kirk records show a number of Ayrshire Militia soldiers married local girls about the same time). He was still in the Ayrshire Militia in 1813 when his daughter was baptised in Perth (Scotland). By 1822 his wife was listed as being widowed on a local Ayrshire census & was back living near her family.

I can't find a burial record for James, nor do I know where he came from & wondered if any Militia records would give me any personal details, or record when he left/died.

Any help appreciated ... Ann
amcallaghan

Re: Ayrshire Militia

Postby MoVidger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 am

Hi Ann,

The following link may be of some help to you. Briefly there is an e-book, 'The Record of the Ayrshire Militia 1802-1883', now available for sale on Amazon for £6.99. The e-book was originally privately printed in 1884 and is based on hand-written records in a notebook kept in Ayr barracks. Print copies can be ordered from the Carnegie Library in Ayr.

Its 114 pages consist of a year-by-year account of the activities of the Ayrshire militia from its formation in 1802, including details of the regiment's Napoleonic war service in Scotland, England and Ireland. I'm not sure if it will have lists of ordinary soldiers, but it sounds like a very helpful tool nonetheless.

Here is the link:
www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/news/south-ay ... first.aspx

Good luck!
Mo
MoVidger

Postby amcallaghan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:48 am

Many thanks! I've just ordered the book. :D
amcallaghan

Postby MoVidger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 am

I know its a dumb question, but have you checked the Scotlands People website for possible birth/death records for your soldier? Also, I'm wondering if TNA in Kew might have some records for the Ayrshire Militia? Below is another link where this Militia is being discussed:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 0986411660
MoVidger

Return to Military help