Moderator Control Panel ]

Obtaining Service Records 1880's inc- Egyptian Campaign

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Obtaining Service Records 1880's inc- Egyptian Campaign

Postby verityellen » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 pm

I'm sure the question has been asked a thousand times but....!
Where can I get the full service record for my Gt Grandfather William George who served in the R.F.A. for 21 years during, I believe, the 1880's and 1890's?

I found one record on Ancestry which is him re-enlisting for WW1 as home guard.

I would so love to find out more about his time prior to this.

It says on the WW1 record he was PREVIOUSLY a gunner, Reg no-10379 (does this always stay the same?) Wheeler (?) Q.M.S., and we are told he served in the 1882 Egyptian campaign.

Can I apply for his records?

Thanks! Verity.
verityellen

Re: Obtaining Service Records 1880's inc- Egyptian Campaign

Postby Sylcec » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:39 am

Verity - first check on FindMyPast which has the WO97 HM Army Soldiers service records. Essentially these were created when a man retired to pension. Certainly with a service of over 20 years I would expect to find a record for him in that collection.
Sylcec

Postby verityellen » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:40 am

Thank-you for your reply. I never seem to have much luck on Find My Past. Will it have the entire record there do you think?

My reason is that we believe he met my French Grandmother whilst she was in the French Red Cross out in the Egyptian Campaign. We hope to see where he served exactly to see if they indeed could have met there.

I will search today, as you advise. Any tips for the exact search terms etc?
verityellen

Postby ColinB » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53 am

If a record exists findmypast will have what there is. Search British Army Service Records 1760 -1915 , select Advanced Search and put in his name , select Royal Horse and Field Artillery from the Regiment drop down box and you will find 14 pages on him. I In fact there appears to be 2 sets of records which apply ! )

Colin
ColinB

Postby verityellen » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Colin,

Thank-you so much for your help. It is much appreciated!

Verity
verityellen

Postby junkers » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Whilst the WO 97 records are available on findmypast (the originals are free at The National Archives (TNA), Kew). The records will be unikely to give you the information except that he served in Egypt. There are pay lists/muster rolls at TNA but they are large and very heavy and not online. There may be an official history of the regiment and where they were exactly.
junkers

Postby verityellen » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks.

I will look up the regiment today. It is becoming intriguing....the two documents on Find My Past suggest that William's entire service was served 'At Home'. However, in his obituary it mentions the Egyptian Campaign...which does, datewise, actually seems to precede these records...perhaps there are earlier records somewhere?

Verity
verityellen

Return to Military help