Moderator Control Panel ]

Search for WW1 soldier

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Search for WW1 soldier

Postby suepage49 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm having trouble locating my grandfather, David Cocking from Oldham, who served in WW1.
He suffered from mustard gas inhalation and was invalided out some time before the end of the war.
I can find no records in the ordinary files but I have found something in the medal records which shows a David Cocking in the Royal Garrison Artillery from 1915-16, a gunner, regimental no: 49271. There is , however, an Australian David Cocking, listed as a Private in the ordinary lists. My questions are;
1. Would the Australian David Cocking be listed in the British Army Medal Rolls as a gunner?
2. If I can, therefore, discount the Aussie, how do I find out if this David Cocking is my grandfather - will there be a record of his address somewhere, or next of kin?
suepage49

Re: Search for WW1 soldier

Postby junkers » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:42 pm

I could not find the Australian David Cocking, but he would not be listed as a Gunner unless he was in the Royal Artillery or the Machine Gun Corps. Have you looked on the National Archives of Australia website for the Australian David Cocking to see if it lists his regiment. The British David Cocking's file which would have had his address and next of kin listed may have been destroyed when the German bomb fell on the Army Pay Office in 1940 and destroyed many of the records.
junkers

Postby suepage49 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:21 am

Thanks, Junkers - I think the Aussie guy is a Daniel and not a David. Also clearly listed as a Private.

So...I'm confident the British Gunner found in the medal lists must be my grandfather - especially as his discharge date fits too. I think I'll stop looking now as I don't think I can get any more info.

Thanks again for your interest and your help.

Sue
suepage49

Postby g w aldous » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:54 am

David Cocking Gunner RGA, 49271. Date into service 23,apr,1915. Discharged 16,sept,1916.
he was discharged wounded as he has a silver war badge, he also has pip squeek and wilfred, 1915 star,war medal and victory medal.
all this just from the medal card, no other docs seem to have survived at kew so you probably are right and won't get any further.
g w aldous

Return to Military help