Moderator Control Panel ]

Greenwich Workshouse 1918

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Greenwich Workshouse 1918

Postby daniellet23 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:59 pm

I would like to know more on the following children who were apparently put into the Greenwich Workhiuse in 1918.

I have been told the following by a relative of the Dodimead/e family - of which I now cannot contact as the email has been changed!!!
'Their father Sidney DODIMEAD was serving in Malta (WW1) when his wife deserted the children. The children were sent into Greenwich Workhouse in East London. The Police of the Metropolis, New Scotland Yard, wrote to the military asking for the whereabouts of Sidney as clearly, he would have known nothing of this situation.

On 4 May 1918, the Ministry of Pensions issued a directive that no further Seperation Allowance be payable to Florence (his wife) and that as the children were now in the Workhouse, no allowance is payable in respect of them either.'

Any ideas of where I can go to look for further details would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from South Australia
Danielle
daniellet23

Re: Greenwich Workshouse 1918

Postby junkers » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:23 am

Danielle,

Have you looked at Stanley Albert Dodimead's Army file from The National Archives at Kew (also available on ancestry.co.uk) where the information you were given has obviously come from. As there is no record of the three surviving children (there was another one that died according to the 1911 census) namely Gladys Florance born 1904/5, Sidney Albert 1906/7 and Arnold 1910 all in Greenwich I think it is safe to assume that they were adopted and their names changed as there is nothing on them in ancestry (no marriage and no death). However Sidney Albert (senior) did ask for a copy of his discharge papers in relation an allowance it looks a child's disability allowance in 1933. The records of the Greenwich Workhouse (which actually is in South-East London) are at the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) and are not online but you might want to ask the LMA for their advice.
junkers

Postby daniellet23 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Yes I have read the Army file! I will be in London in April so will go to London Metropolitan Archives and see what they say.
Many thanks really appreciate it

Danielle
daniellet23

Postby ColinB » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:38 am

I notice one of the children listed on the service record is Frederick Lionel Dodimead :

Frederick Lionel Dodimead Sep 1915 Greenwich 1d 1711 / possible marrriage to Betty E Jennings
Mar 1944 Bath , Somerset 5c 976 / died 5 Oct 1944 http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... K%20LIONEL

In addition there is a tree on Ancestry , Rudduck Family Tree - owner MartynRudduck , which includes the Dodimead family. He has taken a birth record for Sidney ERNEST Dodimead 6 Mar 1907 , Greenwich Jun 1907 1d 1075 as applying to Sidney Albert and lists a marriage and children. I think it would certainly be worth looking at this and maybe contacting him.

Colin
ColinB

Return to Local history