Moderator Control Panel ]

Missing war Memorial

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Missing war Memorial

Postby jamesedward » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:10 am

My uncle, Herbert William Reed, fought in the First World War for the 6th Battalion City of London Rifles. He died in 1917 at Ypres and is commemorated on the battalion’s war memorial. The problem is that this war memorial has disappeared and I cannot find anyone who knows where it is. It used to be in the battalion’s drill hall which still stands at 37a Farringdon Road. However, the memorial is not there; does anyone know where it is now as I would like to see it?
jamesedward

Re: Missing war Memorial

Postby phsvm » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Presumably you mean Farringdon Road, London not the one in Abingdon or Swindon or any other Farringdon Road?

Have you thought of asking the planning deparments of the councils the road passes through? I think those are probably Camden and Islington Councils.

Alternatively there are a lot of official Blue Badge Guide holders who run tours in the area. One of them may be able to give you a lead as they have extensive historial knowledge of the area. Do a google search for their tours and you should come up with some contacts.
phsvm

Return to Military help