Moderator Control Panel ]

Trying to identify Uniform - British PoW?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Trying to identify Uniform - British PoW?

Postby cwigs » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi,

I am struggling to identify the uniform (and era) on this photo, it had been suggested it was a photo of a WW1 British Prisoner of War, but it doesn't look quite right to me.

I have attached a pic with closeups (scroll to the side for the close ups of buttons etc

photo.jpg
photo.jpg (238.52 KiB) Viewed 2288 times

My Problems with it are..
    The apparent "23" on the epaulet - I am not aware of any British Military unit that had numbers like this. (excepting cadet forces)
    The shape of the pocket flaps look wrong for a british uniform
    One of the button close ups _possibly_ show a British Army general Issue button, the other doesn't look right
    The chain, I keep looking at the ?coin? hanging from it, is it possibly a George V florin or possibly crown, I don't know if I am just seeing things but it possibly shows a left facing head.

The "prisoner" number, does look plausible as PoW. - I do know that postcards where sent back to home countries of PoWs to show that their relative was alive and being well looked after as a piece of propaganda.

Had considered a Police uniform but again the "prisoner" number is a bit odd

The only thing on the reverse is a hand written British Address, (Mrs N? Sainsbury, 28 Ridge St, Lancaster) no stamps other writing.

Is anyone able to confirm/suggest any alternatives
Chris
cwigs

Re: Trying to identify Uniform - British PoW?

Postby cwigs » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Flicking through this forum, found this posting http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic7897.html which appears to have a same tunic

Thinking this is a pre-ww1 tunic - It wouldnt suprise me if it was still being used during ww1 as I suspect they would have used what stock they had (or had possibly already issued to people in the Army before the war)

All the pictures of true WW1 issue tunics appear to have squared off pocket flaps
cwigs

Postby carlineric » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 pm

It would be worthwhile to post a query on the Great War Forum. I had a query about my grandfather's uniform and although it was obscure I received a lot of help in identifying it.

Eric
carlineric

Postby cwigs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:37 am

Cheers for the suggestion, I am now going through the registration process there, just waiting for my account to be switched on for posting by an Admin.
cwigs

Postby cwigs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 pm

carlineric wrote:It would be worthwhile to post a query on the Great War Forum. I had a query about my grandfather's uniform and although it was obscure I received a lot of help in identifying it.

Eric

Thanks for the suggestion, within 30 minutes of posting on the GWF, I had the following response:

10952 Pte Nicholson Sainsbury, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers (the old 23rd Foot).
His MIC is marked "P of W".
In 1926 he emigrates to New Zealand, and his home address on the manifest is 38 Ridge St, Lancaster.

(I had mistyped the house number on my post the address here is correct)
cwigs

Return to Photo identification