Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA Live - Future Shows outside London

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

WDYTYA Live - Future Shows outside London

Postby MartinJ1952 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm

Is there any chance that WDYTYA Live will "go on the road" and utilise one of the many exhibition centres elsewhere in the UK, rather than come from London every year.

Getting to London isn't easy from some part of the country, I didn't go this year as it was a 6 hour round trip on 3 different trains (assuming all on time), plus the 6 or so hours at the show. I am sure the show would be just as successful if not more so if it moved round the country.
Martin
MartinJ1952

Re: WDYTYA Live - Future Shows outside London

Postby ritah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 pm

This is an excellent suggestion, for example the National Exhibition Centre near Birmingham is at the heart of the country's road, rail and air networks giving many more people the opportunity to visit the show.

Any response from the editorial team?

Rita
ritah

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:06 am

Yes, this would be a great idea! I saw that readers were discussing this on our Facebook page as well. It's something I can certainly put to the show's organisers when they return to the office later this week...
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby ritah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:00 pm

Has there been any reaction from the show organisers to the suggestion of moving out of London yet, I would be very interested to know. I have never visited the show but would certainly consider it if the venue was outside London.

Rita
ritah

Postby junkers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:14 pm

I think it would brighten the event up but I think that we should also bear in mind the numerous exhibitors who might find other locations difficult to get to.
junkers

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Hello all,

I've just had a chat with the team about this. They are certainly considering the possibility of using other venues for the future, but it's unlikely to happen until after the 2014 show. Watch this space, I guess!

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby martync » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:26 am

Yes, that would be great I have never been to the show and would be unlikely to come while it's in central London but the NEC is a very venue with good transport links, I would certainly go if it were at the NEC. Maybe if people are really convinced London is the only place for this show there could be an alternative show at the NEC, if it was in the summer I am sure there is room for two big Family History shows and I think there are many people who would not go to Olympia that would go to the NEC. Another hobby I have is Scuba Diving and that supports a London and an NEC show each year and I would have thought that Family History would be even more able to support two shows.
martync

Postby ritah » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:15 pm

The Glasgow show is good news for those north of the border but is there any chance of meeting somewhere in the middle at any stage? My earlier post mentioned the NEC and there are many cities with exhibition facilities in the central area of the country.

Rita
ritah

Postby Editor » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:41 pm

I understand that they are considering the NEC. If we hear anything further we'll post it here.

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Granbyplaza » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:23 am

Editor wrote:I understand that they are considering the NEC. If we hear anything further we'll post it here.

Sarah
Please, please, please,impress upon the Powers That Be of WDYTYA Live, that life --- and people ---- with a genuine Genealogy interests, DO exist outside of the M25 and certainly north of Watford too.
I would have dearly loved to have attended the 2014 event, however rail travel cost from Newark Nottinghamshire, on a weekday, for a Silver Surfer are exhorbitant ,that is until after 1000 hrs.,
On that particular weekend, I was advised Engineering work on the ECML could have made the weekend return journey to London,"difficult" ------travel into central London by car at any time is also not to be recommended.Therefore,unfortunately I didn't attend ,again!
In these days of carbon footprints etc.,please try and make the access to the WDYTYA Live accessible and fair to all comers.as previously stated there are numerous locations with good public transport and /or road connection ,in the centre of the country that readily spring to mind.,
NEC Birmingham.,
Trentham Gardens, Stoke on Trent
RICOH Stadium Coventry.
Manchester
Sheffield Arena
National Ice Centre, Nottingham.
With an obvious local bias the Newark and Nottinghamshire Showground, already the home for many a year,to the largest European Antiques Fair.This venue is directly adjacent to the A1, half a mile from the Newark Northgate, ECML Station to London / Newcastle AND 1 mile from Newark Castle Station with good cross country connections to Liverpool ,Manchester,Birmingham.
As you can see there are other venues, readily available to the organisers if they just raise their sight lines just a little above the London Eye !
regards,
Granbyplaza.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
Granbyplaza

Next

Return to Genealogy chat