Moderator Control Panel ]

Second world war burials

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Second world war burials

Postby phsvm » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm doing some reserach into a WW2 soldier who died just before reaching Dunkirk for the evacuations. He is buried along with 5 other servicemen at Miannay Churchyard in N France.

Am I right in assuming that the 6 would have been buried by local residents who simply buried soldiers where thy fell which is why they are not in one of the big military cemeteries? I imagine that with the retreat by allied forces it was just not possible to bury the dead in any other way?

If I am wrong in these assumptions could some one point me in the right direction please?
phsvm

Re: Second world war burials

Postby meekhcs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Perhaps the CWGC could answer this question for you. I have just returned from a visit to my family in Belgium and in the village of Bertem is a single grave of a member of the Berkshire regiment, L/C William Openshaw, who died during the second world war. The grave is beautifully kept and I believe the upkeep is paid for by the commission.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby meekhcs » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:18 am

Following my previous post I now have photos of the grave of L/Cpl Openshaw. Please contact me if he is your ancestor. Sally
meekhcs

Postby g w aldous » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:18 pm

they may have been buried by the locals or the germans whichever way the graves are certainly looked after by the CWGC. on their records it shows the graveyard as having 3 known graves and 3 unknown.
g w aldous

Return to Military help