Moderator Control Panel ]

Help find great grandmother?

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Help find great grandmother?

Postby Jackie333 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:48 am

Hi, I need some advice on where to look next. I have no living relatives who can help so am working alone with limited information!
My grandmother was born Evelyn Lilian Elizabeth Sayer/s 31.10.1910, in St Pancras London.Her birth certificate states;
Father William Sayers
Mother Annie Elizabeth Sayers formerly Buxton
Date birth registered 3 Dec 1910 by mother

I have found Evelyn and her father on 1911 census living at the same address given on her birth certificate with the following;
Head William Sayer widow
Evelyn Sayer daughter age 6 months
Annie Pike housekeeper married

By my reckoning Annie Elizabeth would have died between Dec 1910 and 1911 census date? But I cannot find a death certificate for her or a marriage certificate for her and my grandmothers father.
I have found a marriage between an Annie Elizabeth Buxton and William Richard Pike in Camden/St Pancras in 1893. So we are now presuming my grandmother was the result of Annie's affair with William Sayer whilst working for him? If so why has she put herself as Sayer on my grandmothers birth certificate? Was this common at that time? And to add further mystery to this Evelyn's father died in 1917 and Evelyn was then adopted by the Clark family why did Annie Elizabeth not care for her? Any advise on where to go now will be gratefully received!
Jackie333

Re: Help find great grandmother?

Postby ColinB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Firstly It wouldn’t be at all surprising if Annie Pike wished to hide the fact that Evelyn was illegitimate , by taking William Sayer’s name . Looking at the 1901 census , William and Annie Pike had 2 children :
Annie E Pike
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: William R Pike
Where born: St Pancras, London, England

Civil parish: St Pancras
Ecclesiastical parish: St James Hampstead Road
County/Island: London

Registration district: St Pancras
Sub-registration district: Somers Town
ED, institution, or vessel: 8

Household schedule number: 325
Piece: 144
Folio: 122
Page Number: 34
Household Members: Name Age
William R Pike
Annie E Pike
Albert W T Pike
Louise A E Pike

In 1911 Albert Pike was in a home in Marylebone, the House Boys Brigade, which trained poor children to be servants. I cannot find Louise and I think it is possible that she had already gone to Canada , where she later married , giving her mother’s name as Annie Buxton. Albert also went to Canada , enlisting in 1915 and giving his next of kin as William Pike , address unknown. So it seems that William and Annie parted for some reason and Annie was unable to look after the children. It also seems likely that she had died by the time Albert enlisted. There is a possible death reg. in Pancras Jan 1912 1b 2 Annie E Pike b abt 1875. I'm not sure why you say Annie would have died before the census as you've already found her on it ?

Hope this helps

Colin
ColinB

Postby ksouthall » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Possible death record for Annie Elizabeth Pike:-

Name: Annie E Pike
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1912
Age at Death: 37
Registration district: St Pancras
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1b
Page: 2
ksouthall

Postby ColinB » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:36 pm

Isn't that the same one I gave yesterday ?

Colin
ColinB

Postby ksouthall » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:47 pm

ColinB wrote:Isn't that the same one I gave yesterday ?

Colin

Yep - sorry - missed that in the post you made. At least we both found it independently. There weren't any later ones that I could see and I couldn't find one under Sayers either.
ksouthall

Postby Redhillgeneral » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:09 pm

Re the House Boys Brigade based in Marylebone High Road. I am interested in any information on this charity. My grandfather, Richard Lambert, was a teacher there at the turn of the 19th/20th centuries.

We have no information about his activities there and no information about the charity in general other than the following:

It was founded circa 1870 and was based at 148 Marylebone Road London with Mr Budd as the superintendent.

Any information would be gratefully received.
Redhillgeneral

Postby therices185 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:26 am

Hello Jackie333,
Did you ever find your great-grandmother? I've come across your request today! I came across it while looking for information for my ancestors from the other direction, i.e. from past to present, whilst you appear to have been working from present to past. It looks to me that we may be related! Please let me know if you require more information.
therices185

Return to General research queries