Moderator Control Panel ]

12378 Bdr. John Crisp Died 1914 RFA.

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

12378 Bdr. John Crisp Died 1914 RFA.

Postby jeffward » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:35 pm

I have been researching the service history of John Crisp who was born 1885 Layham Suffolk Joined the army 1900 ( he lied about his age ) Royal Field Artillery and is recorded as dying 20-10-1914 still in the army. He was buried in Woolwich cemetery 24th Oct 1914. It seems likely he died in the military hospital at Woolwich but I've been unable to confirm this. Nor can I find a death certificate. A James Crisp is recorded as dying at Woolwich 4th Qtr 1914 which just might be him as it is not unknown for John and James to be transposed. However my point is were death certificates always issued for military personnel who died in service in the UK particularly in wartime. Can anyone help please .Jeff Ward.
jeffward

Re: 12378 Bdr. John Crisp Died 1914 RFA.

Postby Sylcec » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:00 am

There is just a brief entry on Ancestry which refers to this source information:
Military-Genealogy.com, comp. UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.
Original data: British and Irish Military Databases. The Naval and Military Press Ltd.

About UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
In 1921 His Majesty's Stationery Office published, on behalf of and by authority of the War Office, two lists of those who died during the Great War. One volume, packed with minute typescript, gave the basic details of nearly 42,000 officer casualties. It required an additional eighty volumes to list all the 'other ranks' who gave their lives. Each of the original volumes represented one or more regiments, corps or other units of the British Army. Most were subdivided into battalions or similar groupings. There were often thirty or more of these per volume, each in alphabetical order.

This database contains information extracted from these volumes and includes over 703,000 individuals. Information listed about an individual may include:
Name
Birthplace
Enlistment place
Residence
Number
Decoration
Rank
Regiment
Battalion
Type of casualty
Death date
Death place
Theater of war

If you can get hold of the original publication there may be more information.
I have tried a search in the British Newspaper Archive but without result. Have also tried searching the London Gazette without much luck.
Sylcec

Postby akingmalee » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:00 am

Dear Jeff,
You might find that if he lied about his age he also lied about his name...I've come across that in the past,
Alice.
akingmalee

Postby jeffward » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Just to finalise things the James Crisp I mentioned did in fact turn out to be the John Crisp I was looking for. He died from an aneurism of the aorta suffered while at Woolwich barracks. Regards Jeff Ward
jeffward

Return to Military help