Moderator Control Panel ]

A Suicide In The Family

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

A Suicide In The Family

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:06 pm

While suicide is obviously not a laughing matter, your article in the latest magazine reminded me of this story i found when searching for the BNA for my 3xGreat Grandfather's sister Eliza Farmer that had me in stitches for the response to this Eliza's needless attempted suicide. This was found in the Pall Mall Gazette - Thursday 14 September 1871.

eliza farmer suicide.jpg
Eliza Farmer's story
eliza farmer suicide.jpg (110.07 KiB) Viewed 4445 times

I am at a brick wall with Eliza in my tree and there is a very slight possibility that this could be her as her brother lived in London for a couple of years around this time and i don't know what prompted his move there, but my Eliza and her brother were originally from Brecon in Wales so I can't be sure.
Guybrush Threepwood

Re: A Suicide In The Family

Postby Editor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:08 pm

That is priceless. I might have to put it into our letters page and share it with others.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:50 pm

I still laugh at it everytime i read it :) Feel free to put it in the letters page as I'm sure other readers may like a chuckle too.
Guybrush Threepwood

Postby Loish711 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:04 am

As someone who has had a lot of suicide in the family I still find this extract quite amusing as much for the language used as it's content. The fact that WDYTYA covered such a sensitive subject at all and made it a informative article is why the magazine is the best in it's field. :)
Loish711

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 am

Thanks Lois! We were a little bit wary of covering such a sensitive subject (especially when it came to finding suitable images to illustrate it), so I'm glad you liked it.
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:34 pm

Thankyou Who Do You Think You Are Magazine for my birthday present (I'm 38 tomorrow)! The new issue arrived through the door today and the newspaper clipping and my post were in the letters page :)
Guybrush Threepwood

Postby Jon Bauckham » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:08 pm

No worries at all - it's quite a tale! Hope you had a wonderful birthday.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Return to Magazine chat