Moderator Control Panel ]

Help dating children's photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help dating children's photo

Postby nugent » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:23 pm

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me date this photo so that I can work out who the kids are. I've a rough idea what part of the family they are from but I need a better idea of when it was taken to guess at who the kids might be. It was taken in Belfast and I have no idea when! Thanks.
nugent

RE: Help dating children's photo

Postby Broadsword » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Hey nugent,

The link doesn't seem to have worked. Try uploading the photo via the 'file upload' thingy underneath the text post when you're posting.

If you click 'edit' on your first post, you should be able to amend it.

Broadsword

Postby nugent » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:20 am

Thanks Broadsword! I think I have sorted it now and you'll be able to view the photo.
nugent

Postby NursePaula » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:16 am

In the March issue of the magazine there is an article specifically about how to date photographs of children. They specifically say that Norfolk jackets were popular in the 1870s through to the early 20th century, and that is exactly what the boy on the right of your photograph is wearing. I think your photo is probably 1890s though based on what the girl is wearing and the length of the skirt/ style of dress.
NursePaula

Postby nugent » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:33 am

Thank you NursePaula. Yes I did notice it was a Norfolk jacket but thought the timescale was a bit broad to help me pinpoint the children's names. If the photo could have been taken in the 1910s I could make a good guess at who the children might be. But if it was taken in the 1890s like you suggest I am completely stuck! The mystery just gets greater I'm afraid! Thanks for your reply
nugent

Postby NursePaula » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:23 am

I don't think you can rule the early part of the 20th century out. If you look at the dress the girl is wearing on page 57 of the magazine then it is quite similar to the one in your photo, and the hairstyle is similar too- the date on that is 1905-1910. The section on boys clothing also does say that the Norfolk jacket styles continued into the 20th century. I know how frustrating this process is- been trying to date some photos of my own. Paula
NursePaula

Postby nugent » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:30 pm

In the article I had noticed the part that said girls dresses were shorter even before the twenties when the women started wearing shorter skirts. So I was thinking that might help it fit with the 1910s and I also thought that it looked more Edwardian than anything. It is very hard though and is really just educated guesswork. It is quite a poignant photo if it is the 1910s as that would make the eldest boy a great uncle who drowned at 18 in an accident. Would be nice to think I owned a photo of him as he is just a name on paper at the moment. Thanks for your help.
nugent

Postby photographwit.com » Wed May 07, 2008 11:46 pm

There are so many websites devoted to this kind of thing. I am not an expert in dating photographs but can certainly restore them, and bring them back to "life"!!!

FOR HELP WITH PHOTOGRAPH RESTORATION/ MANIPULATION/MONTAGE WORK/ENLARGING/LIGHTENING/ENHANCING/RE-PRINTS (any size!!!) ETC!!!
GO TO: www.photographwit.com
www.photographwit.com
photographwit.com

Return to Photo identification