Moderator Control Panel ]

Identify this Schoolmaster and School?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Identify this Schoolmaster and School?

Postby pastonpaper » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:57 pm

At least I think it's a school master...Bit of a puzzle, this one. This cabinet card in my possession has a handwritten inscription on the back that totally eludes me. It appears to say “Wm A Page, Keah School Bampton”, and I estimate it to be around 1890.

Unfortunately, I can find no reference to a Keah, Reah, Real or Keal School in Bampton, Brampton, Brompton, Blimpton, and attempts to match with census records from 1861 – 1901 have drawn a blank/

Can you identify this school and location?

unknown01-500.jpg
unknown01-500.jpg (69.58 KiB) Viewed 1821 times

unknown02-500.jpg
unknown02-500.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
pastonpaper

Re: Identify this Schoolmaster and School?

Postby Sylcec » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:38 pm

I wondered if you might be able to find Mr Page on the census or in a directory for Bampton and identify the school (and the name of his wife, if that is who she is) that way. Unfortunately Google tells me that there are 3 Bamptons - in Devon, Oxfordshire and Cumberland. Do you know which is the most likely county for this couple? Have tried http://www.historicaldirectories.org but available years weren't much help - did try the 1893 one for Bampton in Devon, but there was no William Page listed for the town. There were many small privately run schools which may not have lasted a long time, so that could be another reason why this couple and their school are hard to identify.
Sylcec

Postby phsvm » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:31 pm

No help really but more as a point of interst. The Bampton in Oxfordshire is where they film the outside scenes and the church scenes for Downton Abbey
phsvm

Postby Sylcec » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:06 am

I keep coming back to this - could the words below the name simply be "near school" and not be the name of a specific school at all?
Sylvia
Sylcec

Return to Photo identification