Moderator Control Panel ]

BOXER REBELLION

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

BOXER REBELLION

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Does anyone know of a handy list anywhere of all the missionaries killed in the Boxer Rebellion in China in 1900? There were something like 180 I believe. The names I am looking for are Ida W. and Cecil George SMITH.
Thanks.
Rob

Re: BOXER REBELLION

Postby Editor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:28 am

Hi Rob, anything like this which is news, you should be looking in newspapers for. I had a quick look on the British Newspapers collection on findmypast.co.uk and found loads. Don't search for 'Ida' as she is only referred to as Mrs Cecil Smith. Just one example, in a story entitled 'Safety of Missionaries' published in the Sheffield Independent on 19 Sept 1900: "Mrs Cecil Smith left Kwei-chow last month and is safe" but there were lots of other stories and I haven't had time to go through them all. If you've got a subscription to findmypast.co.uk then the British Newspaper collection can be accessed as part of that. If you are going to go for 'pay as you go' or you just want to subscribe for a day, then you are better off going direct to the British Newspaper Archive website which is www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk. You can view 100 pages for £6.95.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Re: BOXER REBELLION

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks Sarah - that's very helpful.
R
Rob

Return to Genealogy chat