Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 uniform id Eric James Bristow.

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 uniform id Eric James Bristow.

Postby pipster » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:36 pm

My great grandfather joined up in 1913 and from what i can find served in the Royal Berks Regiment till 1916 when he was injured and then the Labour Corps. These photos are supposedly from that period but he must be the oldest looking man in his 20s ever! I know he was a security guard after the war and i wondered if these uniforms had anything to do with that? His number in the labour corps was 102603 and the Royal Berks. 2096.

IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg (249.87 KiB) Viewed 2290 times

IMG_00016.jpg
IMG_00016.jpg (208.43 KiB) Viewed 2290 times

IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg (255.01 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
pipster

Re: WW1 uniform id Eric James Bristow.

Postby woolybully » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:29 am

Hi

These photos have to have been taken after WWI as his medal ribbon bar contains 1914 or 1914/15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. These would have been awarded in the years following the WWI.

WWI Medal Bar - Star, BWM, Vic Medal.JPG
WWI Medal Bar - Star, BWM, Vic Medal.JPG (29.05 KiB) Viewed 2250 times

Can you get any clarity on the detail of the jacket buttons or the collar studs? I wonder what A1 is? Also on the middle photo it looks like the epaulettes are actually braided, this may be a clue for you.

If you can get close ups of the buttons maybe the following forum could ID them... The British Military Badge Forum http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php.

Good luck
Woolybully
woolybully

Re: WW1 uniform id Eric James Bristow.

Postby wombleuk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:51 pm

I do not think that is a military uniform.

The medal ribbon shows Great War Service from around 1915 on-wards.

I have a family photo of a person in police uniform very similar with a metal letter and number on the same side of his collar. In your photo I notice that he is wearing white gloves which would not normally be military.

Special constable, or perhaps a commissionaire (I believe these were reserved occupations for soldiers following the Great War).

In your photo he looks in his forties or older, can you work out from that roughly when this photo was taken

Do post if you find out more and a much better scan of his badge would help

David
Basingstoke,Hampshire
wombleuk

Return to Photo identification