Moderator Control Panel ]

Identify the name of this actor

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Identify the name of this actor

Postby pastonpaper » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 pm

I have a Carte de Visite of an actor playing Samuel Burr from the play Porter's Knot, dated May 1863. On the back, the photo was addressed to "E Fimmin esq" (I think), but what on earth is the Actor's name? This has stumped me for a while - any takers?

cdv00028-2-scaled.png
cdv00028-2-scaled.png (248.85 KiB) Viewed 2652 times

cdv00028-1-scaled.png
cdv00028-1-scaled.png (216.08 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
pastonpaper

Re: Identify the name of this actor

Postby Sylcec » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm

I think the character's name as written on the back of the photo is Samson (not Samuel) Burr, and I think addressed to E Frimmen, or E Frimmer, or could be E Frimmin but the 2nd i has not been dotted.
The actor's name - W H Crummelin ?

You could try searching for the name of the play - ? "Porter's Knot" in the newspapers on the BNA in the month around the date of the autographed photo. You may well find an article or advertisement which will include the names of the principal characters/actors.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby pastonpaper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 pm

Great idea, thanks. I've tried the UK census and found no likely names, but the BNA does turn up lots of references to The Porter's Knot and Samson Burr. Unfortunately I don't have a subscription, so will wait until payday I think :)
pastonpaper

Postby Sylcec » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 am

But I do, so having a look without much luck. There may have been several companies performing The Porters Knot. Have found a report of one at Abingdon in early May 1863, and one to come on in Southampton later in May, but none of the names of the cast correspond with anything on the back of your photo. Then at the beginning of June there is a report in The Era (theatrical paper) of the play at Halifax with Mr Rawnsley in the part of Samson Burr. So - it seems to have been a popular play put on by many companies - so to take it further you may need to know where your photo was taken.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby pastonpaper » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Many thanks for your help Sylvia. Unfortunately I've no idea where the photo was taken - no clues given on the item. I think I'll see if I can track down Mr F. in the census somewhere to see if I can narrow the search.
pastonpaper

Postby MrsO » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:51 pm

If you google John Oxonford in wikipedia there is a reference to the the play.As for the beautiful old manuscript it looks like: Samson Burr
E Firmmin Esq.
trading postscript of his son's letter.
MrsO

Return to Photo identification