Moderator Control Panel ]

HUNT/DIXON - Family Bible

If you have birth, marriage or death records you no longer need, help other users by swapping them here

HUNT/DIXON - Family Bible

Postby Pantgwyn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:09 pm

I have come into the possession of a Family Bible which is looking for a family.

It was presented to George HUNT and his wife Elizabeth (nee DIXON) on 12 October 1882, by the Rev. H. Crofton (almost certainly this was the occasion of their marriage, which was registered in the Dec quarter of 1882 in North Witchford, Cambridgeshire).

George had been born 2 March 1862; Elizabeth had been born 26 July 1861.

George and Elizabeth had ten children, all born in Cambridgeshire: Mary Lizzy / Lizzie (b. 1883), Eliza (b. 1885), John William (b. 1886), Thomas (b. 1889), George (b. 1891), Harriet (b. 1894), James (b. 1895), Emily (b. 1897), Sarah Ann (b. 1899), and David Ernest (b. 1900). The Bible was passed down by the family of the eldest daughter, Mary Lizzie; she married and had one daughter, who died a few years back without issue.

The births of George and Elizabeth, and of their ten children, are recorded on the front flyleaf of the Bible. There are no other additions, but there are two loose pieces of paper, one containing a poem about a very pious little girl ('They see her striving every hour for Others' happiness, These are some reasons why the Girls all so love little Bess ...'), and one with the brief note, 'My Father Dide on September 29 1890'.

It would be lovely if there were any direct descendants of George and Elizabeth Hunt out there who might like to give this Bible a home! :)
The friends of the Bible's late owner have already contacted the Cambridgeshire FHS in an unsuccessful attempt to find interested family members, so I thought I'd give this forum a try ...

Helen
Pantgwyn

Re: HUNT/DIXON - Family Bible

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 am

Thanks for this, Helen - I'll try and include a note about this somewhere in the March issue as well.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby pastonpaper » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Hello Helen,

I've recently set up a website for people to list Family Bibles and their family registers, with the ability to search by person, place etc. Users can also add gedcom files to be informed of matches. It's very early days, but we've got a few hundred members who've added their wants, and we get lots of searches. Would you be interested in adding the Hunt / Dixon Bible?

(I'm not allowed to post the URL here, but please feel free to message me for details if you think I can help)

Regards
Christian
pastonpaper

Postby fenlady » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:35 pm

Hello,

After reading about the family bible I decided that as my family come from North Witchford I would try to help you.
I found someone on Ancestry who had George Hunt in their family tree and contacted her. She has replied today:

"Hello
Thank you for getting in touch.
Yes George Hunt was my great great uncle and I would be interested in the bible, so if you could send me the details I would be very grateful
Kind regards Sharon"

I don't know whether you have access to Ancestry? If you do her contact name is dboardman43, if not shall I ask for heremail address for you?

If you do contact Sharon may I ask to be informed of the outcome please?
I would so like to have a family bible of our family - my Great Grandma lent hers and we never got it back :(

Thanks
Kind regards
Trisha
fenlady

Postby Pantgwyn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you very much to everyone who has responded!

@ Jon, thanks for putting something in the March issue!

@ Christian, that sounds like an extremely useful web site you've started up! I'd definitely like to PM you about it, even if an owner for the Hunt Bible is found (see below).

@ Trisha, I did notice that George Hunt was on a couple of trees on Ancestry, but thought I'd try this forum in case it turned up any direct descendants. I'll certainly get in touch with the lady you contacted and send her photographs of the relevant pages etc. ... and if no closer relations materialise she'd be more than welcome to have the Bible. I'm delighted that she's interested. I'll certainly let you know what happens, in any case!

Thank you again -- this is such a helpful forum! :D

Helen
Pantgwyn

Postby Teganleaf » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:16 am

Hello,
George Hunt was my great great grandfather. Frederick Alfred Hunt was my Great Great Grandfather.
Frederick Gordon Hunt was my mother most Favourite person in the world. He was Frederick Alfred's Hunts son.
I can show pictures of his grave,family tree and picture.
The family is having a reunion 20 February 2016. This is in New Zealand where Frederick Hunt immigranted. I would love this bible so much
Janine Hoffmann
Teganleaf

Return to Unwanted certificates