Moderator Control Panel ]

Family History CD'S

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Family History CD'S

Postby fentiger » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:24 pm

I have 3 members of my paternal family whose births I can't find. I have seen CD's advertised for parish records. These are quite expensive so has anyone brought these and do they contain all births, deaths and marriages for that parish?
fentiger

Re: Family History CD'S

Postby ColinB » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:44 pm

I've got several CDs , published by various family history societies , and in general I've found them to be accurate and fairly comprehensive. However the records on the CDs have all been transcribed so it's possible there will be errors and omissions. I tend to regard them as a guide and if I don't find anything on them I don't assume that I don't need to look at the originals - you should always do that anyway , if you can. As for coverage you should check the small print and if you're not satisfied ask questions. Bear in mind that you cannot return CDs once the packaging is broken open unless they are faulty.

Which parish are you interested in ? If you post a query someone may be able to help.

Colin
ColinB

Postby fentiger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:02 am

I'm interested in Cambridgeshire but unfortunately the records are in Cambridge and I can't get there. I am making progress on my tree without these births but to have 3 missing from the same family is both odd and a nuisance. I've ruled out 2 marriages, all the children definetly have the same parents so it is a mystery.
fentiger

Postby Millst » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:57 pm

I had a similar mystery and have spent hours searching for the correct births and marriages to no avail.

I have just joined the Norfolk Family History Society and found a whole family of Canham/Cannells in Parish Registers and Archbishops returns who are not on Ancestry or Find My Past.

I don't know anything about Cambridgeshire but it may be worth contacting their Family History Society to find out what records they hold and whether they are online.
Millst

Return to Genealogy chat