Moderator Control Panel ]

can anyone help with this photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

can anyone help with this photo

Postby meekhcs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:06 pm

attached is a photo from WW2 taken, I am guessing in Africa or Italy.
The gentleman 3rd from the left in the back row is my Grandpop Alfred James Parfit tand I know he served in both countries
At the time of the photo he was in the Royal Artillery where eventually, I am led to believe, he was a Battery Sergeant Major.(Details from his uniform, in a different photo I have, were identified at the WDYTYA show a couple of years ago)
If anyone can place the photo or recognise anyone I would be very grateful.

Many thanks Sally
Attachments
family 061.jpg
family 061.jpg (117.91 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
meekhcs

Re: can anyone help with this photo

Postby phsvm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Two things occur to me. Firstly. do you have his military file which, presumbly, would tell you his dates of promotion - or do you know them anyway? Also do you have his Battery's official diary? If you identify what his rank was in this photo by comparing it with the Battery's diary may give you some indication as to where this was taken.

Secondly, my immediate feel was that that this was not Egypt. I have a photo of my father when he was in Egypt and he's wearing lighter weight uniform - shorts, shirt with the sleeves rolled up etc. He's also carrying desert goggles for use against the dust and sand. Somehow this photo gives a much more 'northerly' feel to it.

I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge of WW2 troop movements, uniforms etc will be able to give you better guidance but that's my two pennies worth.
phsvm

Postby meekhcs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Thanks for your reply. Sadly I do not have his army file. I am not the next of kin and my aunts/uncles are not interested in family history, and not helpful! Nor do I have the Battalion diary, how do I access them please?

I know from limited discussions with family that he served in Africa and Italy. I have several photos of him in uniform which I took to the WDYTYA show and it was they who identified him as a battery sergeant major in the RA. One of his photos,which he sent to my Mum, is dated 1944 Italy.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby phsvm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm sure someone on the forum is better able to answer your question than I am but as no one has done so yet my suggetion would be that you contact the Royal Artillery Association.

I would imagine they'll be able to give you some leads. They also have a forum for anyone interested in them so it might be worth posting your photo on there as well.

http://forums.theraa.co.uk/
phsvm

Postby meekhcs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Again thanks for your input. I have contacted the RA, and heard from them this morning. I have also contacted the Museum in Winchester re The Hampshire Yeomanryso hopefully between the two I will be able to further my search.

Sally
meekhcs

Return to Photo identification