Moderator Control Panel ]

Wounded Lists

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Wounded Lists

Postby Lindaand4boys » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:50 pm

My grandfather Percy Henry Baker was wounded during the Great War. If he came back to England to recover would there be a record of this other than with his regiment. He spent most of his life in Salisbury, Wilts yet he met his wife in Ewerby, Lincs. I have discovered that this was also the area for the Machine Gun Corp (which he transferred to). So this could be how he came to meet her, but his children can remember something about their mum possibly aiding his recovery from a wound. I would like to solve this mystery for the remaining siblings as they have often wondered and never had the opportunity to ask.
Lindaand4boys

Re: Wounded Lists

Postby junkers » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:58 pm

His War Office record should have the information but the files that are at The National Archives, Kew (online at ancestry) don't mention it. It is not clear if these files are those of your grandfather but near Salisbury is mentioned. Could you let us know his date of birth.
junkers

Postby Lindaand4boys » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi
His date of birth is 28th September 1889.
Lindaand4boys

Postby Sylcec » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:41 pm

There is a Medal Index Card for him on Ancestry, but I could not find a Pension or Service record for the same man. However, the MIC is more informative than most.
He started with the Wiltshire Regt - Private No. 8530
transferred to Machine Gun Corps - Private No. 72943
His qualifying date: 7 Oct 1914 - presumably when he first went to France
Awards: 1914 star, Clasps & Roses I.V.1120 c/A date 30/7/1920, clasp /1/1982
SWB [Silver War badge] list MGC /336

Then on back of card (and apologies for probably mistranscriptions here):
O1/C No.1 Infty Rec's No.8 District forwds application for clasp to 1914 star from P H Barker Esq 26.2.20
Address: Exeter, The Pound, Dinton, Nr Salisbury, Wilts

From the card I don't know when he was transferred or injured. However I expect that there may be entries in the London Gazette. Also, do have a look at The Long Long Trail http://www.1914-1918.net which is searchable and may have info on convalescent hospitals for war wounded.
Good hunting!
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby junkers » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:08 am

The recordsoin the ancestry website, but is it not searchable by date of birth because it is one of the 'Burnt Documents', i.e. those that were damaged by the German bomb that fell on the Army Pay Office in 1940. The reference to Exteter in the medal card is the regimental office and not the individual. The file does continue until 1939 but Percy was living in Dinton up to three or so months before he got married and the medal card does show he was injured, i.e. "S W B".
junkers

Postby DavidG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:27 pm

According to his Silver War Badge Record hes was doscharged under Para 392 (xvi) Kings Regulations as "No longer fir for military service" 20th July 1918.
DavidG

Return to Military help