Moderator Control Panel ]

Forum - Notification of Posts

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Forum - Notification of Posts

Postby woolybully » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:22 am

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to set your profile so that a email message gets sent to you when a new post is made on your subscribed boards and/or in reply to your own posts?

I understand that if I look at my subscribed boards I can tell if there's new content by the colour of the icon (red=unread, white=read).

Continually having to return to the forum just to check and see if I have responses is somewhat annoying.

Many thanks
WoolyBully
woolybully

Re: Forum - Notification of Posts

Postby ColinB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:42 am

Hi,

You are supposed to be able to set this by going to your User Control Panel and Preferences , however I have not received any notifications since the board crashed about a year ago and was off for a while. I have tried reconfirming my settings but it hasn't worked. I'm hoping this will be fixed when the board is redesigned. I know there are others in the same position but it hasn't affected everyone.I agree that it is rather tedious , particularly in the case of Private Messages which you can't see unless you log in.

Colin
ColinB

Postby woolybully » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks Colin

I guess we just wait and see if either the settings get "fixed" of the board is redesigned as you mentioned. Is there some kind of support for the forum?

WoolyBully
woolybully

Postby Jon Bauckham » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Hello woolybully,

Welcome to the forum! I'm Jon and I'm the person to contact with any problems. As ColinB says, we will finally be redesigning both the forum and website this year after several months of delays.

I wasn't aware of any previous issues with notifications, but I'll fire off an email to our digital team and get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby Jon Bauckham » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 pm

The digital team has run a few tests on the site and everything should be working absolutely fine. You can subscribe to a thread and receive an email notification by clicking on the subscribe topic button, which can be found on the bottom left of the page. There's no difference if you created the topic yourself – you still need to click on this button.

If you're definitely subscribed but not receiving the emails, you need to check that your provider isn't filtering these out as spam. The notifications are sent from Bristol.OnlineHelp@immediate.co.uk.

You can also receive updates on private messages while you're actually browsing the forum by going to User Control Panel > Board Preferences.

Hope this helps!
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby woolybully » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks Jon

I am subscribed to a number or topics... I'll check on the email filtering.

Woolybully
woolybully

Postby woolybully » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi Jon

Just so you know, notifications are still not working. Hopefully this will be addressed by the refresh of the forum.

FYI my emails are not being filtered out by any spam filters.

Thanks for your help anyway

Woolybully
woolybully

Postby Jon Bauckham » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately, I don't still don't know what the problem is! I tested it out on a couple of my accounts and the emails are arriving fine.

We've been saying this for a long time now, but we will be having a refresh of the entire website and forum this year. It really needs it! When this happens, we'll be inviting all our readers to provide their input.
Jon Bauckham

Postby woolybully » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:24 am

Thanks for the update Jon. I look forward to the upgrade.

Neil
woolybully

Postby woolybully » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:35 am

Hi

The board has gone through some changes and yet I'm still not receiving email alerts... am I being really dumb or is this still an issue for some users?
woolybully

Next

Return to Technical help