Moderator Control Panel ]

William Kelly (Scottish Rifles)

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

William Kelly (Scottish Rifles)

Postby MoVidger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Apologies in advance if this is an unsuitable category for my query, but it does relate to a former WW1-era soldier. I am trying to ascertain what happened to my grandmother's first husband AFTER he served in the Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) from 1904-1923.

I know very little about him as my granny would never mention his existence (it's a long story!)

I have his military service papers and have also done a bit of research on Scotland's People. I've been able to determine the following facts:

William Kelly born in 1887 in The Gorbals area of Glasgow to William Sr and Mary (nee Holmes) Kelly. His father died shortly before he was born and his mother passed away in 1911 in Glasgow. William had a younger half-brother (James) and younger half-sister (Lily) also born in Glasgow. Mary Kelly doesn't appear to have ever remarried, though. And his sister Lily died in Ayr in 1965.

My trail with William Kelly goes cold after 1923 when he was discharged. However I do know that he was alive at least until circa 1940 and possibly later because he made "inappropriate" attempts to re-connect with my grandmother for a number of years from 1923 to 1940-ish.

I've been in touch with The Cameronians Museum in Glasgow, but they have no mention of him in their records nor any "former Cameronian" death notice/obit for him.

The only other fact I know about William Kelly is that his military papers indicate he was a "musician" when he re-enlisted after WW1. This makes sense because the 1911 wedding cert for he and my granny lists his occupation as "Bugler - Scottish Rifles".

I have searched Scotland's People for nearly every "William Kelly" who died between 1923 to 1975, but none of the entries match his parents' names.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!
Mo
Last edited by MoVidger on Sat May 20, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoVidger

Re: William Kelly (Scottish Rifles)

Postby Editor » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:57 am

When did he and your grandmother separate? And do you have a date of birth for William?
Editor
Site Admin

Postby junkers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Where was William discharged as you could try if you know where he was living to look in the valuation rolls and hopefully trace him for a little while. A better bet might be the National Registration record in 1939, but it costs about £30. Have you looked in the National Records of Scotland which includes the former National Archives of Scotland for any references.
junkers

Postby MoVidger » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Hello to Editor and Junkers.

To Editor: not sure of an exact separation date, but it would have been circa 1921 to 1925-ish. William Kelly still lists my granny as his wife on his 1919/1920 re-enlistment papers with The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), although she could have left him by then. We do have an original "re-print of their 1911 marriage cert which is dated 1922 -- my granny must have obtained a copy at that time in order to begin futile divorce proceedings. And WK's birthdate is 16/2/1887 according to his military papers.

To Junkers: WK was discharged from the Scottish Rifles in 1923 in Glasgow.

Lastly, if this makes any difference, he also served with the Highland Light Infantry for the remainder of WW1. He was invalided out of the SR in 1915, but the HLI took him the following year until 1918. He re-enlisted with the SR in 1919 in their Territorial Army.

Thanks again for any further advice or suggestions.

Mo
MoVidger

Return to Military help