Moderator Control Panel ]

West Surrey Militia

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

West Surrey Militia

Postby woolybully » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:03 am

Hi

I have recently found the service record on an ancestor dated 1892 and I'm really interested to see that he lists the West Surrey Militia against the question "Do you now belong to Her Majesty's Army...".

I can't seem to find any records for the West Surrey Militia, does anyone know of any records? Ideally I'd like to see muster lists.

As the question is "Do you now belong to Her Majesty's Army..." hopefully any records for 1890-92 should show an entry.

Alfred George Hornett, b.1871 in Sheffield, Attested to regular Army in 1892.

Any info or hints would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Woolybully
woolybully

Re: West Surrey Militia

Postby Editor » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:55 pm

It might be worth contacting the Surrey History Centre to see if they have any records for the West Surrey Militia. I found plenty of stories about them on the British Library newspapers on findmypast.co.uk.

The contact email for Surrey History Centre is she@surreycc.gov.uk

Interestingly Ancestry.co.uk has struck up a deal with Surrey History Centre to digitise some of their collection so, if you are lucky, you may find relevant stuff going online during 2013.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Re: West Surrey Militia

Postby woolybully » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi Sarah

I've searched the online catalogue of the Surrey Heritage Centre and not had much luck, however as you proposed I have emailed the centre hoping for some direction or hints as where to look next.

Thanks
Woolybully
woolybully

Return to Military help