Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 army records

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW1 army records

Postby Bennie Williams » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:14 pm

For the last few years I have been desperately trying to find my Grandfather's military records during WW1 and I have made no headway. Members of the family who would have had information have now passed away and I have exhausted all avenues. His name was David Robert Williams, born in Bangor North Wales 9/1/1888 (father - William, mother -Ann). On June 19th, 1906 he married Jane Rowlands.
I believe he joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and that he fought on the Somme. If anybody out there can help me out I would be eternally grateful. I would hate to think that future members of our family will have no knowledge of what he did and what he must have gone through. Thanking you in anticipation.
Bennie Williams

Re: WW1 army records

Postby Sylcec » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:59 am

Hi Bennie - as I just explained to another poster, the surviving WWI service records are available on Ancestry; however, there are very few of these, as they were destroyed in the blitz. There are a substantial number (over 5 million!) Medal Index cards available, however, there are several David R Williams, and one Robert David Williams, who all served in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Without knowing your grandfather's service number it is impossible to identify which would be him.

Do you have any idea when he would have joined up? I have tried to get an estimate on this by searching for other children registered in Bangor district with surname Williams, mother's maiden name Rowlands. There are quite a number, but the spacing does suggest that they don't all belong to the same parents. However, you would know the answer to this, and I suggest that if Jane was having children at regular intervals which then changed, it may suggest that was when Robert's service started. If he didn't enter until after 1915, then the medal index cards which show awards of 1914 or 1914/15 star will not be him.

Once you have narrowed down the possibilities a bit, I suggest that you have a look at http://www.1914-1918.net, run a search on the regiment, and also join the Great War Forum and post a query there.

Oh - it could also be worthwhile searching the local newspapers for Bangor during wartime to see if there are reports of their 'boys' at the front which mention your grandfather.
Good hunting!
Sylvia
Last edited by Sylcec on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylcec

Postby Bennie Williams » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Many thanks for your quick response.
Bennie Williams

Postby Gwil » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 am

Bennie
How sound is your info that he was RWF?

Can you put him to 441 Caernarfon Rd, Bangor during WW1, esp 1914/1915? David Robert Williams of this address was Gunner 450 later 310171 in the Royal Garrison Artillery (in a Territorial unit known as Welsh (Caernarfon) RGA). Enlisted first week of the war, possibly had pre war service. He went to France in March 1916 and would have been at the Somme that summer

From the details you give I believe that is your family at 473 Caernarfon Road in the 1911 census and are buried at Glanadda (David Robert Williams when he died in 1950 has 255 Caernarfon Rd on his gravestone, buried with Jane who died 1968 and Hannah who died 1911)

There's a different family at 441 in 1911 and I can't quite make a connection . Maybe you can put him at 441 from family info?

Gwil
Gwil

Postby junkers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:43 am

In response to what sylcec has said it is actually incorrect as the records of non-officers who remained in the British Army after 1920 may be amongst the collection that is still in the Ministry of Defence in Glasgow (including my grandfather's record).
junkers

Return to Military help