Moderator Control Panel ]

Great Grandfathers Uniform (WW1)

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Great Grandfathers Uniform (WW1)

Postby greenman126 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:05 pm

Dear All
Please see the attached photograph of my Great Grandfather in his WW1 uniform. His name is Hubert Thomas Fuller (Born: 23 Sept 1891, Died: Jan 1972). He lived in Marshfield, S. Gloucestershire before and after WW1. I cannot find any enlistment/pension records etc. There are a number of medal cards that could be his and I have tried matching the cap badge to those - but I'm not an expert.

Any help as to Regiment etc. would be gratefully recieved. I have hit a brick wall with this one!!

Many Thanks
Mark
Attachments
Hubert Thomas Fuller - Web Copy.gif
Hubert Thomas Fuller - WW1
Hubert Thomas Fuller - Web Copy.gif (207.1 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
greenman126

Re: Great Grandfathers Uniform (WW1)

Postby snaphappy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Mark, your great grandfather was a lance corporal in the Royal Engineers when this image was taken.
snaphappy

Postby greenman126 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Many thanks for the post 'snaphappy' - your help is very much appreciated. I can add this to the other information I have and track down more details.

Once again many thanks.
Mark
greenman126

Postby wombleuk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:31 pm

I agree with previous post that he is in the Royal Engineers and a Lance Corporal.

He appears to have a trade badge above his strip but cannot make out what this is. A better image scan should make this clearer. Also he has no wound strips or overseas service strips so probably taken very early on in the Great War.

I can only fine one H Fuller who served in the RE 346771 and also the Gloucester regiment 33357- coincidence??

I would suggest looking at copies of your/the local paper from the area he living in as this can provide supporting information

Do let us know how you get on

David
Basingstoke, Hampshire
wombleuk

Postby greenman126 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Many thanks David - the link to Gloucestershire Regiment would make sense, as this is the local Regiment for the area in which he lived. I will follow this up and post further information.

I'll see if I can get a clearer image of the trade badge. In later years he was the local village builder and undertaker! His father was the village farrier and blacksmith. I wonder if the trade may be linked to these occupations.

Once again, much appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
greenman126

Return to Photo identification