Moderator Control Panel ]

Help with identifying outfit

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help with identifying outfit

Postby MoVidger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 pm

Hello,

Please see attached photo. Does anyone have any clues about the interesting outfit this man is wearing? His photo is in a relative's photo album, but we have no idea who he is. We are hoping his outfit (with sash) might give us a clue.

The photographer is listed as "Kings Bros - Photographic Artist". My brief research indicates this photographer may have operated in the Luton area, circa 1875. My ancestors do not have any connections to Luton, so perhaps this chap was just passing thru town at the time?

Many thanks for any help or suggestions!

Maureen
Attachments
Kings Bros (unamed subject).jpg
Kings Bros (unamed subject).jpg (175.52 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
MoVidger

Re: Help with identifying outfit

Postby ritah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:14 pm

The apron and sash suggest he might be a member of the Freemasons but I don't know enough to identify exactly, perhaps another member will know more.

Rita
ritah

Postby Lindsay » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:13 am

Hi Maureen,
I'm no expert either but I have heard of another group who wore aprons or sashes in Victorian times, The Ancient order of Foresters. A quick search on the internet shows they still exist as a friendly society and also it seems the Freemasons have a site and museum with a section on the Foresters and the Oddfellows as well as some other Temperance societies. So maybe you could compare the apron design and make some enquiries .
Lindsay

Postby MoVidger » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Thank you Lindsay for providing this info. And apologies for not responding earlier!

Your tip has provided me with some new leads with my research into this unknown fellow.

Thanks again,
Mo
MoVidger

Return to Photo identification