Moderator Control Panel ]

R. Baxter photographer

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

R. Baxter photographer

Postby MoVidger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Hello,

Would anyone know more about a Victorian photographer named "R. Baxter - Photographic Artist" ??

I've tried googling him, but haven't turned up anything yet. I have two unamed family photos (circa 1870s), but without knowing the location of R. Baxter, its proving impossible to identify the two people.

My lot were from London and so I would be very surprised if R. Baxter operated somewhere else in the UK.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Maureen
MoVidger

Re: R. Baxter photographer

Postby ritah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Any connections to Australia?

The first google search I did brought up trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/30581197 which is an item from the Queanbeyan Age newspaper (NSW 1867-1904) dated 10th November 1870. This refers to the return to the town of Mr R Baxter late of the firm of Baxter and Macdonald photographic artists etc etc.

A google search for Baxter and Macdonald eventually brings up another report from the same newspaper dated 25th February 1869 referring to them returning to the town after a visit some months earlier. It sounds as if they were travelling photographers going from town to town in New South Wales.

This might be a total red herring but good luck anyway!

Rita
ritah

Postby MoVidger » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Thank you Rita! Yes, there is actually a family connection to Australia. My relative was born in London in 1856, but emigrated to Oz in 1878. Her old photo album must contain images from NSW then, as well as the folks back in the UK. Unfortunately, she didn't name or date any of her photos. All we have are the photographers' names for each.

Thanks again!
MoVidger

Postby ritah » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:27 pm

You're welcome Maureen.

Hopefully you will now be able to put faces to dates as you obviously know when they were in NSW.

Regards

Rita
ritah

Return to Photo identification