Moderator Control Panel ]

Viking Lineage pre 600AD

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Viking Lineage pre 600AD

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:49 am

I have traced my lineage back to 600AD to King Svidri Heytsson born in Raumsdal, Telemark, Norway in 600AD (my 40th great grandfather). However, locating his parentage is proving difficult as a lot of sites have his father listed as Heytir Gorrsson but Heytir Gorrsson was born in 424AD with Heytir Gorrsson father listed as King Gorr of Kvenland Thorrisson born 365AD.

If Heytir is Svidri's father it would make him 176 years old when Svidri was born. Any help would be appreciated.

It has been a long trail researching my lineage back through the years via Knights of the Realm, Barons and Lords of Manors in the UK and further on into Normandy to the Duke of Normandy Richard I Plantagenet, his father King William I De Normandie and his father Robert I Rollo Viking Rolf Ragnvaldsson (846-931) all the way to King Svidri Heytsson in 600AD.
JasonB

Re: Viking Lineage pre 600AD

Postby Artognou » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:26 pm

There will always be problems tracing your family back this far, due to there being prominent family names in my family, I have managed to trace my tree back quite some way, but there will always be problems and sometimes records/names get lost.

Having checked the Svenland website, it lists King Svidri Heytsson (600 - 649) and before him, it lists Heytir Gorrsson Kvenland b. 425 Raumsdal, Norway, d. 499 Raumsdal, Norway, so all that can be assumed is that there was a later Heytir named in honour of his predecessor.

Sadly you do discover the desperate and the hopeful along the way who name ancestors as their own without checking the dates.

I had the same in search of my family tree, I discovered that there were McLeods and then discovered that someone had listed this person's parents (he was early/mid 1600s) as being born in 1470s - 1490s.

It's infuriating!

Hope this is of some help/use anyway,

Regards, Alex.
Artognou

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi Alex
Thanks for your reply. I have checked various websites inc Svenland and Viking rulers etc and they all state the 175 year age gap. I can go beyond 425AD as all the dates match up re parentage etc so may just add this anomolie in my tree and make the necessary notes regarding this age gap.

Another thing I have come across during this period is that some websites list the parents as having been born AFTER their children were born - this adds to further confusion. For example: a website lists a mother as b. 600 d. 675 had child 580. Maybe the b. does not stand for born but something else - which I will look into.

I sometimes get frustrated with other peoples trees when linking up to them. Sometimes they have the parents and children listed twice, sometimes with different spellings, or just one parent listed. I have contacted some in the past to re look at their trees to amend them. This issue can make tracing ancestors more frustrating especially if correct children and marriage dates but the wrong grandparents.
JasonB

Postby DLB » Sat May 16, 2015 10:06 pm

I too have got back to sveidi and farther to fornjotur but alas with the gap.I got to Hrolf Im ganger down the mulcaster, pennington, de percy line.maybe we can share info
DLB

Postby JMorton » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:09 am

Hi Jason,
We must be related as I too have found the the Viking King Sveidri is my 35th great grandfather.
I would be keen to chat - my email is jim.jenny@xtra.co.nz
Regards
Jim
JMorton

Postby MysticDave » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:44 pm

I would have a DNA test - Norwegian Viking DNA shows up distinctly, so it would show if you were on he right track. I know I have some through a Dublin ancestor, but a very different line went back to Normandy with claims of ancestry from Rollo - but there is no Norwegian DNA in that branch, so it must just be a tale.
MysticDave

Postby greeneyedlass » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:28 pm

I'm researching my biological line (after having recently found who my birth mother is) and I'm running into these same difficulties. BTW, hello everyone...I just joined here and this is my first post but I've been researching genealogy for quite some time.

So many people don't bother to actually look at birth/death dates before linking people up, as someone else already said; they are desperate to be attached to someone "known" and link without trying to verify information. It's infuriating! I've taken one tiny thread in my biological line back to King Svidri Heytsson and I'm stopping here (at least for now) simply because of the gap between Svidri and his supposed father Heytir Gorrsson in the next leap. I'm certain there is one, perhaps two individuals missing in that gap and that can certainly change the route of the remaining thread.

If anyone does manage to find any info out I will certainly be interested to know and I'll be doing some research myself and will share if I find anything.
greeneyedlass

Return to General research queries