Moderator Control Panel ]

Arthur Woods

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Arthur Woods

Postby bjgriffiths » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:56 am

I am looking to trace an ancestor of mine called Arthur Woods who died in WW1. I have managed to find some service records for Arthur stating that he died in France and Flanders on the 26th Juky 1917 and that he joined the 121st Labour Corps on the 14th Feb 1917.
My problem stems from the fact that based on his war records and the location for his birth that is stated on them, I cannot find anything out about Arthur's parents other than his father was called William. When i look into any birth or census data for Arthur nothing seems to exist.

I would appreciate any help that a kind individual could offer.

Barry Griffiths
bjgriffiths

Re: Arthur Woods

Postby meekhcs » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Recruits would often lie about their date of birth when signing up so when looking at records allow a generous time frame either side of the perceived birth year,and follow up anything that looks even remotely possible.

Good Luck Sally
meekhcs

Postby bjgriffiths » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Many thanks
bjgriffiths

Postby Diana Grant » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi

Just a thought - if Arthur Woods died in the First World War it would be worth finding his Will. That could give you some useful information.

Good luck with your research.

Diana
Diana Grant

Postby akingmalee » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:19 am

Try looking up the registration district of the place of birth, on Free BMD, or the parish, on Genuki and see what the other towns and villages in the area were. It is possible that he gave an approximate place, or local place, but not the official place, or vice versa.

Do you have any descendants of cousins of his that might know some names of his brothers or sisters?
Knowing even one name and approximate date of birth could help you find them on the census and help you find out more.

Look up local history websites, for towns and villages in his area. You might find a list of war dead names that includes his name. Look for any variation on his name too.

Try the British Newspaper Archive, they might have local newspaper reports about him. Be prepared that he might have used a slightly different name, so follow anything for anyone using that surname in the right area. Might lead somewhere!

If a soldier gave a false name when signing up for the army under age, then it can mean that when they died, the local newspaper or war memorial record is in their real name, as it will be assumed it was just a mistake. This can make tracing hard. A soldier may have slightly altered their own name, or used their middle name, so look out for reversed middle names, using a dead brother's name, father's name, etc.

Alice.
akingmalee

Postby junkers » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Barry,

Do you have Arthur's date of birth and could you give us his place of birth it would help us find the possible entry.

The only Arthur Woods that fits your information on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt of Honour website is the following and lists his wife, so if this is the correct one then you could look for the marriage and this should give his father's occupation.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... ,%20ARTHUR
junkers

Postby bjgriffiths » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi.

Junkers that definitely is my Arthur Woods and his correct wife. I've traced their marriage to Grace Mary Hillier on the 6th April 1914. The same record (a marriage bann) shows his father as William Woods (but i might say William Wood I'm not sure) who was a tradesman and deceased at the time of the marriage.
Arthur is shown as a Valet at the time of marriage and is 25 yrs old.

At this stage the trial goes cold as i cannot find any matches for these combinations based on the place of birth recorded in army records which are recorded as Penistown or Heathfield depending on what file you look at.

Barry
bjgriffiths

Return to Military help