Moderator Control Panel ]

WW11 Service number Royal Engineers

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

WW11 Service number Royal Engineers

Postby CDownes » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 pm

I have been trying to get hold of my late Dads Royal Engineers WW2 service record.
but the M.O.D in Glasgow say they can find no record of Herbert Green. They directed me to the National Achieves who also said they cannot help I have also e-mailed several Royal Engineer web sites with little response. I sent photos,birth cert and place of birth 30.9.1924 Sheffield to all I have contacted Please can anyone direct me in the right direction. To find his service number my Dad served in Malta/Algeria/Gibraltar his occupation was an electrical engineer.
CDownes

Re: WW11 Service number Royal Engineers

Postby DavidG » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:48 pm

I don't envy you with this one.

Do you have any of his documentation such as pay book, discharge certificate, etc......? Or, does anybody else in the family have them, the Service Number should be on them. Unfortunately they didn't put these on the medals in WW2.

Have you tried under variants of his forename such as Bert, Bertie, etc.....? or, did he have a middle name? They may not automatically look for these in a search.

You could try posting a photograph and request in the British Legion Magazine, they do a contacts and looking for section.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-u ... legionline

Or, the Royal Engineers Association (REA)

http://www.reahq.org.uk/

Hope this helps

David
DavidG

Re: WW11 Service number Royal Engineers

Postby CDownes » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Thank you for your reply I only have a photo of my dad in his uniform so I will try the other connections you gave me and hope I can get some help there.
CDownes

Return to Military help