Moderator Control Panel ]

Records of Personnell in the wartime National Fire Service

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Records of Personnell in the wartime National Fire Service

Postby grumpygranfer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:57 pm

My Father was conscripted to the National Fire Service during the second world war and was posted to London where he served all during the war.
My Father died when I wa only six years old and was never able to talk to him about his wartime service.
Now, in later life, I have started to compile my Family tree, I feel I would like to get to know something about where my Father served rtc, but cannot find any records of NFS personnell. Has anyone tried the same exercise and if so, had you had any joy?
grumpygranfer

Re: Records of Personnell in the wartime National Fire Servi

Postby Sylcec » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:46 am

hello "grumpy" - but please don't be!! :)
I have just put your search terms into Google and got several hits. Someone had a similar question on Rootschat back in February 2011 - this and the responses may help you http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,513009.0.html . This could also be a good backgrounder for you: http://www.wwiifire.co.uk/History.htm and may well provide a useful contact source for you.

Actually, I'm not sure that you have posted your query in the best place to get a reply - you might have done better to put your query on the "help with your research" board. Whatever, we keen readers will find you wherever you lurk. :)
Good hunting! Sylvia
Sylcec

Re: Records of Personnell in the wartime National Fire Servi

Postby grumpygranfer » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:40 am

Hello Sylvia
Thank you for your reply, the name grumpygranfer was given to me by my grandchildren so seemed appropriate to use here :lol:
I have had a quick look at the info you gave me and think I may be able to get somewhere with this.

Perhaps I will repost this as you suggesterd.

Many thanks again

Frank
grumpygranfer

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat