Moderator Control Panel ]

help with Grandad service info

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

help with Grandad service info

Postby Robalong01 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi all,I have recently received a couple of photos of my Grandfather George Long who served in the artillery in India during the 1st war,he's pictured seated on a cannon and written above it says MAHALAXMI Battery,I'm sure this is Mumbai (then Bombay),He was born George Greenfield Long,Greenfield being his middle name not surname in 1899, Southwark, London (Surrey).
I have not been able to locate his service records or any information to do with his term in India or otherwise so any help would be fantastic.
Thanks Rob,pics below.
Grt Grandad George Greenfield in India mail.jpg
Grt Grandad George Greenfield in India mail.jpg (35.32 KiB) Viewed 2705 times

Grt Grandad George Greenfield Field Artillary mail.jpg
Grt Grandad George Greenfield Field Artillary mail.jpg (43.84 KiB) Viewed 2705 times
Robalong01

Re: help with Grandad service info

Postby hillie47 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi Rob
Did your great-granddad survive WW1? I have found a G. G. Long, who served in the Royal Field Artillery, but he died on 27/05/1915. Let me know if this might be the right person and I will post his details.
Cheers
Lorraine
hillie47

Postby Robalong01 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi Lorraine and thanks for the repy,unfortunately your G G Long cant be the one,as my grandfather outlived the war only to pass in 1938 at 38yoa.
thanks Rob
Robalong01

Postby sdup26 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Is it possible that rather than being a place, the gun in the picture was named 'Mahalaxmi' by the soldiers? Mahalaxmi is the patron goddess of Kolhapur, Maharashtra, and as you say, Mumbai (Bombay) is the state capital.
sdup26

Postby Sylcec » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:19 pm

The other indicator that the Mahalaxmi Battery was in that place, is the fact that the man appears to be wearing a solar topi - almost de rigeur for Europeans to protect their heads from the Indian sun.
Sylcec

Postby akingmalee » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:56 am

Hello,

Have you tried looking up the Medal Index Cards online at the National Archives? There are a few George Longs in the RFA. It is worth tracing each one. Checking the list is free.
I tried to give the National Archives web url here, but the page was returned saying it looked too 'spammy', (what a cheek) so I am afraid that I cannot give it.
The National Archives page gives a list of abbreviations so that, in theory, you can work out where the soldier served.

Soldiers full names are not always listed, nor even a middle initial. You have to be flexible. I tried George Greenfield, George G, then George before I got any returns. You have to pay to view the cards, but get 6 to a page. Alternatively, if you are on Ancestry, better quality colour versions are available, but you need at least the pay -as -you- go sub and only get one card per view.

Alice.
akingmalee

Return to Military help