Moderator Control Panel ]

709 Mil Gov - Duisdorf 1945

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

709 Mil Gov - Duisdorf 1945

Postby nzgenz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 am

The Army Personnel Centre have just provided me with my father's WWII military record, and I am both excited and puzzled.
I have two photographs of my father, presumably taken at Duisdorf - one is a smallish group of lower ranks and one is a photo of around 30 military personnel, from a rather senior looking chap to a couple of privates. This is taken in front of what I assume to be a large country house. Dad has written on the back "Duisdorf Oct 1945".
In the military records sent, dad (living in Liverpool) has been enlisted in the Lincolnshire Regiment, but his release papers note (in writing) "Last serving with 709 Mil Govt Det". There is a stamp higher up the page "229/305 (P) Mil Gov ....." (the last word cannot be read).
On the Service and Casualty Form there are threer eferences (and I have typed exactly as they appear)
T.O.S. HQ MILL GOV HANOVER REG 714 P
MILL GOV Posted from 714 P MILL GOV
T.O.S. 704 P. MILL GOV

I would welcome any military experts who can point me in the right direction.

Best regards
nzgenz

Re: 709 Mil Gov - Duisdorf 1945

Postby g w aldous » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:38 pm

He last served with 709 Provost detachment of the military government, or as we say the british army of occupation, in 1945 germany was divided by the russians in the east and us in the west I believe duisdorf is in or near Bonn which upto the fall of the berlin wall and reunification of germany was the west german capital.the provost is military police so maybe as a scouser he didn't like the Lincolnshires and posted to the mil police. do the photos look like they have redcaps on or armbands..
g w aldous

Postby nzgenz » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:41 am

Thanks for the response, but no, I don't think they are wearing red caps or armbands. In fact, I doubt they are military police. I strongly suspect they were an interim military government in place until a civilian government was able to be installed. I do recall reading about denazification trials - judges, police and so on who had served under the Nazi government, but may have been unsympathetic to that government (although keeping that very quiet of course!).
I may just pop along to the university library and see if they have anything on the army of occupation 1945/46.
Unfortunately, the file size on this site is too small to allow me to upload one of the pictures, which might have helped.
Thanks again for the response.
Regards
Andrea
nzgenz

Postby g w aldous » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:49 pm

thats alright andrea, I just go by what I see, have you tried uploading the photos to photobucket then posting the link..
g w aldous

Postby g w aldous » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:56 pm

also I had a look in my library and the naming of the units looks almost american so could he have been working with them.
g w aldous

Postby Sylcec » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Andrea - regarding uploading of pictures - why not simply make an edited copy of your large file photo? If you don't already have any picture editing software, suggest you download irfanview which is free and very easy to use.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby nzgenz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:31 am

Thank you all for the handy hints! I have to admit I'd not heard of Photobucket, but have now signed up and posted the small photo : http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o78 ... 0dbba8.jpg

The large photo link is : http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o78 ... 3a7311.jpg

The officer in the centre of the small photo appears to have a Scottish capband, and from a quick visit and check of a text on denazification today, I found that Duisdorf docks were a centre of blackmarketeering, with the Black Watch heavily implicated. There are a couple of other references to dad being seconded to other "Mil Gov" units, so this might fit. I will have a browse through the university library when they reopen in mid-Jan to see if I can find anything further, but would appreciate any further comments - you've been helpful in suggesting other directions so far.

Many thanks
Andrea
Last edited by nzgenz on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nzgenz

Postby nzgenz » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:34 am

Thanks for the suggestion Sylvia, Unfortunately Irfanview couldn't make it small enough either - I had already tried compressing it, but to get it down to an acceptable size meant it lost too much definition. These are old photos so the originals are starting to degrade anyway.
I have done what the previous poster suggested, and downloaded the photos to Photobucket - the link is posted in my other message.

Regards
Andrea
nzgenz

Return to Military help