Moderator Control Panel ]

Greatx4 grandfather joined the army in Ireland in 1779

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Greatx4 grandfather joined the army in Ireland in 1779

Postby georgesgranny » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:13 am

My great x 4 grandfather enlisted with the 30th Regiment of Foot in Ireland in 1779 when he was about 17 years old. He appears on the muster roll taken at Arklow but could have been recruited at Bray, Waterford or Command (is that Arklow?) I found a record stating he was 5'6'' tall in The National Archives but have been unable to find out where he was born and lived before joining the army. He left the army in 1791/2 and was next found at Newark on Trent in the Yoeman Cavalry.
Does anyone know how I can trace his origins?
I know Irish origins are hard to trace and have almost given up on this one so I would be very grateful for any help at all.
georgesgranny.
georgesgranny

Re: Greatx4 grandfather joined the army in Ireland in 1779

Postby junkers » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:20 pm

We may be able to help if you can let us know his name and what records you have checked. Have you looked at The National Archives website in WO 97, there are quite a few possibilities but without a name it is difficult. His place of birth should be traceable as it was the British Army even if he joined in Ireland and that will make it easier and if he got a pension (7 years service would be needed) then there should be records where he left the Army.
junkers

Re: Greatx4 grandfather joined the army in Ireland in 1779

Postby georgesgranny » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:12 am

Thank you. His name was Edward Marshall. I'll check my records and get back to you, I know I checked muster rolls and have his military career pretty well sorted but couldn't find any record of a pension.
georgesgranny

Return to Military help