Moderator Control Panel ]

Important notice about bonus content - please read

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Important notice about bonus content - please read

Postby Jon Bauckham » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:47 am

Hello,

As I've had so many emails regarding bonus content, I thought I should probably respond on here. Many apologies for the delay on this.

If you've been having trouble downloading the content recently, then it's probably down to problems at our end rather than yours. I have been working alongside our IT department to try and work out what the issue is, as the reports we're getting are all very similar e.g. some of the files download perfectly fine, others simply ‘time out’ or come up with the Error 504 message.

We have since discovered that it’s the result of where we store the files. The company that we belong to (Immediate Media) distributes large files via something called a CDN, which stands for Content Delivery Network.

It’s a service that consists of a set of servers based all over the world that feed out our files on a more local level, reducing the load at our end and 'supposedly' speeding up downloads for users.

It appears that some of these local servers haven’t been working correctly for a few weeks. We use the same service for all of our video files too, so as you can imagine, it’s a big problem.

The company that runs the CDN service has told us that they’ve located a faulty server in Manchester and they’re going to be fixing it soon as they can. I'll make sure that you're kept updated with the progress.

I appreciate that this is not ideal and I understand your frustration – the bonus content should be freely accessible to all people that buy our magazine. We don’t plan to bring the discs back in the near future (it's beyond our control), but we will be looking at ways in which the download process can be made easier.

All the best,
Jon
Last edited by Jon Bauckham on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Re: Important notice about bonus content - please read

Postby juliaros » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:48 pm

These downloads are pathetic, month after month I have problems trying to download them. I HAVE MANAGED TO GET A TIME ON A DOWNLOAD THIS MORNING, IT WILL TAKE 4 DAYS AND 6 HOURS lmao.

They have turned a decent magazine and disc into a cheap collection, just to save money.

I'm thinking of changing to another magazine now, I have every issue but 2 . But I cant take this much longer, I lose one Saturday in the month, just trying to get this data.

Fed up aint the words i'm looking for, PATHETIC WILL SURFICE.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
juliaros

Postby jillchappell » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Any chance of returning to the old disc format? Been trying for ages to download bonus content issue 69 with no success i live in London not Manchester.

Many thanks Jill.
jillchappell

Postby Millst » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm

I have only managed to download the bonus content once. I gave up because it is so frustrating. I thought it must be my computer. I'm still getting the magazine because I have a subscription but the lack of bonus content does mean we are not getting full value for money and it is quite an expensive magazine.

Will we be able to download the bonus content from previous issues when the problem is fixed?

I am glad you have told us what the problem is and that it will be rectified as soon as possible.
Millst

Postby phelpsjj2000 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:01 am

I'm having problems too! Do Apple Macs qualify to download the bonus content? There's no mention of what kind of computer or operating system you need to make this work?

I emailed Jon two weeks ago and did not get a personal response!! Now today I read his message above!

I too, would like the three month expiry to be extended....there are some good items which I would like to get.

So if you are all very frustrated...walk a mile in my shoes....I'm from Canada!
phelpsjj2000

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 am

Hi Judy, I replied to your message this morning. The first email I have from you was only sent five days ago on 25 January... ? :? We actually use Apple Macs in our office, so they definitely do qualify for the bonus content.

The issue described at the top of this thread has now been fixed and thoroughly tested. However, as people are still having problems we will be discussing ways we can make the download process easier in the future.

I understand that it makes the whole process highly frustrating, so I apologise again for this. Most of the queries we receive describe problems that are particular to that person, which is why my responses can sometimes be a bit slow. I can assure you that coming up with a workable solution will be of benefit to both parties!

I'll keep you posted with any developments.

Best,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby sigee » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi Jon,

I have had this problem of downloads timing out since the downloads were first introduced and although you say the problem has been fixed I can confirm that I am still having the same problem. I have tried various different OSs, browsers and locations and always have the same problem. I can only agree with the previous comments that this is incredibly annoying!

Cheers,
Simon
sigee

Postby callbrian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi Jon,
I am having problems with just one element of the March issue downloads.
I am having problems with the bonus content, 'The Rochester Cathedral' file keeps timing out with the error message '504 Gateway' timed out.

Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:55 am

Hi again,
After several attempts I have now managed to download the 'Rochester Cathedral' file. Although at the top of the page the same error message appears '504 Gateway timed out'.

Regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby Lebs » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:57 pm

I am still having problems downloading all of 71, and frankly have better things to do with my time. It's just not good enough I'm afraid.
Lebs

Next

Return to Magazine chat