Moderator Control Panel ]

Important notice about bonus content - please read

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Re: Important notice about bonus content - please read

Postby Jon Bauckham » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:55 am

Hello everyone,

I had a meeting with our web operations manager this week and I explained how bad the situation had been recently. As a result of this, we've now switched to a new bonus content server provider.

Our tech team will need to spend Monday and Tuesday (25th and 26th) doing a bit of maintenance work as they move the files across to their new locations, but with a bit of luck, we should have a brand new (and far more reliable system) in place later next week - no more 504 errors (fingers crossed!)

Once this is back up and running, I will temporarily remove the 'three-month rule' on some of the older issues in order for readers to catch up with the files they may have missed.

In the meantime, please drop me an email (jon.bauckham@immediate.co.uk) if there are any individual documents you are after - I can arrange for these to be transferred to you by an alternative link.

Best wishes,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm very pleased to say that our bonus content has now been fixed :P

After consultation with our digital team, we've moved over to a completely different content delivery network - one which should be far more reliable and enable you to download reasonably large files with ease (no more gateway errors!)

Not only will next month's content be uploaded using this new service, but we've transferred the three most recent issues over as well - Highlands & Western Isles, Berkshire and Kent. I've tested it all out from home and it's working fine for me (and my internet connection is terrible).

It would be great if you could have a go and let me know what it's like at your end. As ever, report any problems to jon.bauckham@immediate.co.uk.

Best wishes,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby Sylcec » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:09 am

Hi Jon
I have just made my first attempt at downloading bonus content - the Berkshire material was of specific interest. I had no trouble downloading and saving files. I was then able to access the individual pdf files. Although of no consequence to me, I do note however, that the files did not appear to be linked in practice, and I needed to close each one and then open another. The only file that I did have a problem with is the Berkshire guide in pdf which I could open from the website to display, but could not open again from a saved file, not could I print it. (This maybe a function of me using old software - I am still on Windows XP and Office 2003, though do take all the updates to Adobe Acrobat Reader.)
Sylvia
Sylcec

Previous

Return to Magazine chat