Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform identity

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Uniform identity

Postby newretiree » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi all. I am new to this website. This is my first post. I am trying to get a clearer picture of my Grandfathers movements during WW1. His name was Charles Moulsdale. He was in the RGA as a gunner. I have two Medal Index Cards? The first shows his regimental no. as 384 and the second as 314188?
My father told me that Charles was involved with horses and that during WW2 was in a yeomanry regt. I believe the photograph was taken during this period and that the uniform is of the Warwickshire Volunteers (he lived in Birmingham). It certainly shows a riding crop and spurs.
Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.
Attachments
Copy of Grandad Moulsdale.jpg
Copy of Grandad Moulsdale.jpg (171.19 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
newretiree

Re: Uniform identity

Postby g w aldous » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 am

First welcome,
the picture you have is first WW, on his medal card he is a SH Smith, Like a farrier.
his cap badge is hard to see but is not a RGA one also its not a vet corps one.
he has 2 medal cards the first is from signup in 1914/15, the 2nd is from signup to the territorials prob at the end of the war. the medals for the 1st WW were not issued together the star came first then the war medal then the victory medal, known as pip squeak and wilfred.
g w aldous

Postby newretiree » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks gw. My Dad did tell me that he was something to do with the territorials. What I was really after was, how can I find out where he served in WW1? Any ideas?
newretiree

Postby g w aldous » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Sorry it looks like his service record dosn't survive or has been kept with his WW2 service record, it could be worth putting in a request for his WW2 service record these are held by the MOD, you need to be either a next of kin or have NOKs permission to get the full record but you can get a short version if your not NOK.
g w aldous

Postby jeffward » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 pm

The cap badge is similar to that of the Royal Horse Artillery also he is wearing an artillery lanyard on his right shoulder Jeff Ward
jeffward

Return to Military help