Moderator Control Panel ]

cause of death ww1

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

cause of death ww1

Postby mr-hex » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:10 pm

I know that my grandfather was in 241st Seige Battery, and is buried at BRANDHOEK NEW MILITARY CEMETERY No.3. My ambition is to visit his grave. I wonder though - is it possible to find out just how and where he died? Might it have been because of gas, perhaps a direct shell hit etc. etc.
mr-hex

Re: cause of death ww1

Postby Sylcec » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Have you consulted The Long Long Trail yet - http://www.1914-1918.net ? The site has a search function from which I discovered that the 241st Siege Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery was first in France on 10 January 1917.

The site is currently undergoing redevelopment and some of the links don't work. However, by some in depth reading of resources - maybe despatches from General Haig for the relevant period you may be lead to the answer you seek. You could also try posting on "The Great War Forum" http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/ where there are plenty of experts who will be best placed to answer your question. Do be prepared to give your grandfather's name though - it usually helps to search for a named person.
Good hunting! Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Wibz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi

I have just started to research my family tree and have discovered that my Great Grandfather was also in the 241st Siege Battery. Have you managed to find out any other information?

I am going to go and view the war diaries at the national archives which should tell me more detail about their movements. I do have his war record which tells me some info.

Anything you know will be of help

Thanks

Colin
Wibz

Postby brunes08 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm

If it would help, many of the 1WW war diaries are now accessible on the National Archives site.
brunes08

Postby junkers » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Some of the War Diaries have been withdrawn at TNA for digitisation, so I suggest you check before you visit.
junkers

Return to Military help