Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform indentification

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Uniform indentification

Postby GF Woollons » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:58 am

Can anyone help identify the uniform/regiment of the attached grainy photograph. The photograph was found amongst my great granfathers posessions but there is no idication of who the photograph is of. I do know that a distant relative served with 80th Regiment of Foot during Indian Mutiny and later in China and that he was member of the Regimental Band. It may also be of help if the sleeve insignia (white star) on the soldiers lower right sleeve could be identified.
Thanking you,
George Woollons
Attachments
Unknown Woollons. found in Tho's 1829-1908 posessions (384x640).jpg
Unknown Woollons. found in Tho's 1829-1908 posessions (384x640).jpg (233.57 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
GF Woollons

Re: Uniform indentification

Postby AndrewColtart » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 pm

Hello George Im unable to confirm the regiment of the gentleman , but Im almost certain that the
small white star on the sleeve is what is referred to as a Good Conduct Badge, I have a relation who served in the 93rd Highlanders between 1846-1865 before being pensioned out, I was lucky enough to get a copy of his service record which notes his rank and any awards/medals he received
it noted that he had received GCBs and if he had not been promoted he would have had 3 (if Im right).
The Good Conduct Badge was only given to soldiers up to the rank of Sergeant as a Token of recognition for their work and behaviour in service, I think they also got a cash bounty on discharge at so much per GCB awarded.
Hope this helps Andrew
AndrewColtart

Re: Uniform indentification

Postby GF Woollons » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:34 am

Thank you for reply Andrew. Since I posted this picture I have managed to get hold of the records of my relative who served with 80th Regt of Foot and from these have found that he was a private soldier throughout his career. He did however have 3 good conduct badges and the Indian General Service medal with bar Bhootan.
There is no medal ribbon on the soldier pictured and as you can see he is a corporal so I think this rules him out as the soldier pictured.

Thank you once again.

George Woollons
GF Woollons

Return to Photo identification