Moderator Control Panel ]

Help identifying time period - female fashion

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Help identifying time period - female fashion

Postby chelleyp » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:37 am

Hi everyone

I am hoping that someone may be able to give me a date estimate on this photo so that I can try and guess which family member it is. I was thinking it was from around 1870 and the girl is around 16 or 17?

Love to hear some other opinions though.

Many thanks
Chelley

unknown female circa .jpg
unknown female circa .jpg (247.71 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
chelleyp

Re: Help identifying time period - female fashion

Postby ritah » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:53 pm

The October issue No. 65 of WDYTYA had a lot of information on dating photographs by the fashions and included recommendations for best websites. One of these is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Western-fashion which shows examples of fashion by decade and I think you are right about the 1870's although a young girl's dress would be slightly different I guess than that of a woman.

It would be worth getting a copy of this issue as there are many sites listed.

Back issues are obtainable by ringing 0844 844 0939 or email wdytya@servicehelpline.co.uk

Good luck

Rita
ritah

Postby chelleyp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:56 pm

Thanks Rita - that's a good site. I will try and get a back copy of the magazine too.

It's hard when you can't see her clothes in full and the hair style seems a little different to anything I have seen on line so far.

Love a good mystery though ....
chelleyp

Postby Pantgwyn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:29 am

I'd add that your local library might have something useful. I was able to get some excellent books about dating photographs from mine via the inter-library loan system (would recommend anything by Robert Pols). I'd agree that the 1870s looks most likely for this photo (the elaborate neckline with frills, lace, etc, and the piled-up hair). Since her hair isn't 'up' yet I'd guess that she can't be much older than 15/16?
It's a lovely photo! Hope you manage to identify her!
Helen
Pantgwyn

Postby chelleyp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Helen - will give the library a go too.

It's so frustrating to have all these photos and no names - lucky I enjoy a challenge !
chelleyp

Return to Photo identification