Moderator Control Panel ]

FED UP WITH ALL THIS SPAM!

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

FED UP WITH ALL THIS SPAM!

Postby ColinB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 pm

I'm getting really tired of seeing all this spam . I've reported lots of it over the last few days and it's all over the Forum at the moment. There was an incident recently where a spammer even managed to hack into someone's account. It does make me wonder how secure our personal details are. I really hope something can be done to improve security or I for one will be considering whether I continue with the Forum.

There ! That's my steam let off !

Colin
ColinB

Re: FED UP WITH ALL THIS SPAM!

Postby g w aldous » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 am

there is really no reason they cannot put spam blockers on to stop spammers signing in the first place, Even so if one does get through they should be quicker deleting and banning the ip/user account.
im with you on this one it is making it nearly impossible to read peoples questions.
g w aldous

Postby ritah » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Unfortunately as these spammers messages appear they are on the home page too, not exactly the image the magazine wants I think.

Rita
ritah

Postby ColinB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi Rita,

I emailed Jon and Sarah about this this morning and they are going to try to take steps to tighten things up. I agree it doesn't give a very good impression at all . It seems strange that the other Forum I use never has any spam on it so they've found a way round it . ( It would be good if they got round to deleting the current accumulation though !)

Colin
ColinB

Postby meekhcs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:04 pm

A couple of them have been posting all day on series 6 -on Fiona Bruce and Zoe Wannamaker's links. I appreciate the magazine is probably trying to get to the bottom of the problem, but if they leave the spam accounts live the problem will just get worse because the spammers will just have to pres a button to keep resendingtheir messages.

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ColinB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:11 pm

At the moment it looks like they've given in to the spammers !

Colin
ColinB

Postby Emmeline » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Also fed up with the spam. And I'm getting really fed up with all the adverts on the right-hand side. Sometimes they're even covering posts. This site isn't what it used to be.
Emmeline

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 am

As mentioned on the main spam thread yesterday, the company's manager of web operations will be working on anti-spam measures this week. In the New Year (hopefully in time for WDYTYA? Live) both the website and forum will also undergo facelifts.

Thanks for your patience,
Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Postby ColinB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 am

Hi Jon ,

Thanks for the update. I'm sure this is frustrating for you too. Interesting to hear about the website facelift . Some of us were emailed back in May about plans to change the website , asking us to take part in testing over the summer . I didn't hear anymore about it so assumed it had been shelved.
I'll look forward to seeing what developes.

Colin
ColinB

Postby Jon Bauckham » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:33 am

Hi Colin,

As far as I am aware, that will still go ahead at some stage during redevelopment. The digital department have had a lot of staff leaving/new staff arriving, which means there's unfortunately been a delay in redesigns not just for us, but for several other titles within the company.

Jon
I've now left Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine. Please contact wdytyaeditorial@immediate.co.uk regarding any forum queries.
Jon Bauckham

Next

Return to Genealogy chat