Moderator Control Panel ]

ww2 prisonor of war in Germany -any information on will help

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

ww2 prisonor of war in Germany -any information on will help

Postby edesy1984 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:16 pm

i am looking into information on when my grandfather was a prisoner of war in Germany in ww2. He is still alive and well at 93 but i dont like to talk to him about it as it brings back painful memories for him. here is the information i have found...
Name: K. H. F. Benwell
Army Number: 953094
Regiment: Royal Artillery
POW Number: 249728
Camp Type: Stalag
Camp Number: IV-D/Z
Camp Location: Annaburg, Saxony-Anhalt
Record Office: Royal Artillery (Field) Record Office, Foots Cray, Sidcup, Kent
Record Office Number: 5

i was wondering if anyone could give me any information on this subject of prisoners of war in Germany in WW2 anything that can help with my reasearch for our family tree.
edesy1984

Re: ww2 prisonor of war in Germany -any information on will

Postby ColinB » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:50 pm

If you Google the Stalag you can find out a little about it. Similarly , if you Google Prisoners of War WW2 I'm sure you will find lots of info. Try this BBC page , People's War , which has links to various accounts of prisoner experiences :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peoples ... ies/c1204/

I don't think you will be able to access any personal info on your grandfather as that would still be confidential , as are WW2 service records.

Colin
ColinB

Postby belle72 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi my grandad was also in Annaburg, Saxony-Anhalt pow camp he was:
Name: Jim purdy
Army Number: 1439364
Regiment: Royal Artillery(field)
POW Number: 249728
Camp Type: ?
Camp Number: ?
Camp Location: Annaburg, Saxony-Anhalt
Record Office: Royal Artillery (Field) Record Office, Foots Cray, Sidcup, Kent
Record Office Number: 5
he died in 2006, but i too couldn't ask many questions , it just seemed rude to. I am trying to find out more about this camp he stayed in and how he managed to get home!
belle72

Postby brunes08 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 pm

I entered 'WW2 Royal Artillery' into my search engine. Lots of sites came up that indicate there are records to be found. Some of them are subscription sites. You may find a site that helps you.
brunes08

Postby Eric Taylor » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:47 am

My father was in this camp but died in 2006. His details are :-
Name - Frank Wolfenden Taylor
Occupation - Gunner
Army Number - 4131526
Regiment - Royal Artillery
POW number - 229967
Camp Type - Stalag
Camp Number - IV-D/Z
Camp Location - Annaburg,Saxony-Anhalt
Any information about him or the camp would be most welcome.
Eric Taylor

Postby peter kent » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:33 pm

The National Archives have the best introductory guide:

http://nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/ ... 9-1953.htm
peter kent

Postby Discat11 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:40 am

Stalag IV d/z was an officers camp before becoming a normal other ranks Stalag, located in Sachsen, Prussia -near modern Magdeburg, Germany.

Peters suggestion is a good one -you'll see WO344 mentioned in that guide from the TNA, this is by far & away the best place to start IMHO if the record exists, although you'll have to make a visit or hire a researcher to do it for you as they are not online as far as I am aware?

344 reports are 4/5 pages and generally include camps held in with dates (the record you have will almost certainly be the 'snapshot' of the camp recorded which was taken IIRC from Red cross reports between Feb and April 1945 and then recorded by the OSS and SOE/Mi9) so it's just the 'last' camp officially recorded, not a list.

Of course some POWs were only held in one camp but I think they tended to be the exception rather than the rule and aren't all that helpful since 'other ranks' were generally allotted to various work camps which could be many miles away from the main camp, some main camps had hundreds of these 'satellite camps' and whilst the main camp was the 'postal address' for the PoW the prisoners themselves were rarely ever there.

The 344 reports can also state whether the POW was in hospital at any time, witnessed potential war crimes or took part in escapes.

After that - the MOD for the service records (there are rumours these service records will start appearing at the archives in the public domain after 2019 but this is probably a moveable date given the (over?)reaction of most agencies to the data protection regulations, in the meantime only the MOD have access to 'service records', although, as with WO344 there are plenty of WWII period records 'out there' that the MOD don't control.

The MOD forms can be downloaded from the government site at Veterans-UK.

It's certainly always worth a look on the subscription & free sites -the best will have a timeline or date filter so you can see what collections/sources they've used for 1939-45 and hopefully these will prove useful in identifying what might be relevant.
Discat11

Return to Military help