Moderator Control Panel ]

photo help - army uniform ww1

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Re: photo help - army uniform ww1

Postby wombleuk » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 pm

A standard studio portrait taken on enlistment for the Great War. Is there anything on the reverse of the photo? writing or a studio name?

Neither of the uniforms have any insignia save for the cap badge, a much better scan of the badge in the centre would be ideal.

Both men have swagger sticks, something to keep their hands out of thier pockets.

Do check the local papers for where they lived as this can often though up useful leads.

Let us know what you ultimately find out

David
Basingstoke, Hampshire
wombleuk

Postby edesy1984 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:05 pm

his uniform is still a mystery to me. i am still unable to find any information on him in the war. his son (my grandfather) is still alive so im hoping to find something from him. He may have some paperwork /medals that were from the war as he was his only son. apart from that im trawling through every 'David Harris' i can find war records on...a slow process! :)
edesy1984

Postby wombleuk » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:40 pm

the khaki uniform is just a general service uniform worn by all other ranks. The main thing to concentrate on is the Cap badge as this is the key to identifying the Regiment.

If your relative does have any of the medals this would great as all WW1 medals were engraved along the side with the service number name and regiment so this would be a great find, as along with the regiment from a cap badge a service number really helps narrow down a person, the medal card and if available the service record and/or pension record.

keep us all informed as to your progress
David
wombleuk

Previous

Return to Photo identification