Moderator Control Panel ]

John Wallis - 1861 Census

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

John Wallis - 1861 Census

Postby ColinB » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:51 am

[attachment=0]John Wallis 1861 Census.Please can anyone make out the last word of the occupation for John Wallis on the attached ? I've got as far as " Evangelist of the Church of Christ ".

Thanks

Colin
Attachments
John Wallis 1861 Census.PNG
John Wallis 1861 Census.PNG (78.06 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
ColinB

Re: John Wallis - 1861 Census

Postby ColinB » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi jaykayare ,

I wondered if it was a location too. They are in Kenilworth but I haven't come up with anything.

Colin
ColinB

Postby junkers » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:30 pm

It is the Church of Epill?????? and 11 (possibly a mission number or a reference to The Bible), there were a number of different religions in Devon and I would say it is one of them around Devonport. I would expect he was listed in a trade or religious (clerical) directory for 1861 but he changed by the time of the next census.
junkers

Postby ColinB » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi junkers,

Thanks for replying.

John Wallis , or John Pixley Wallis to give him his full name , was the son of a shipwright and started as a clerk in Portsmouth Dockyard. He was ordained as a curate in the Church of England , serving in Southwark and then in Kenilworth. Some time around 1857/8 he was dismissed and published a pamphlet airing his grievances about his treatment ( I'm hoping to get this copied by BL but can't access it at present ). I'm wondering if he was dismissed because of his association with a sect which didn't have approval or whether that involvement came later. By 1871 he had given up the church and turned to shirt making but in old age described himself as a retired clergyman.

Colin
ColinB

Postby ritah » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Hello Colin

I see they were living on Albion Road Kenilworth at the time, this is now called Albion Street, and on my current map it shows a church at the end not far from Mill End which is the next but one entry on the census page, this may tie in.

I live near Kenilworth and am going there tomorrow so will go and have a look at the present church for you to see if there could be any connection.

Regards Rita
ritah

Postby ColinB » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Hello ritah,

That's very kind of you - please don't put yourself out , though !

Kind regards

Colin
ColinB

Postby ritah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Hello Colin

After my visit to Kenilworth today I believe that your ancestor's occupation is written as 'Evangelist of the Church of Christ c/o Mission Hall'.

I went to the church on Albion Street mentioned in my previous post. Fortunately there was a lady there who knew about the history and gave me a leaflet. It seems that this church was built on the site in 1886, prior to that services were held in a room over the Co-op store on Park Road, about 50 yards from the present site. That room was known as Saint Nicholas Mission Hall. After the move the new building was known as St Nicholas Mission Room and renamed St Barnabas in 1905.

I wasn't able to discover when services started in the Mission Hall over the Co-op but if you want to take this any further then I suggest you contact either the Kenilworth History Society or Warwick County Archives whose staff are usually very helpful.

Albion Street where John lived is now a mixture of Victorian cottages, some of them very small, and more modern buildings.

Sometimes it is good to get away from the computer and put places into context, I enjoyed my investigations!

Hope this helps.

Rita
ritah

Postby ColinB » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Ritah , you're a star! Thank you so much for doing this. I think you're quite right - it says Mission Hall. I think I must apply to the British Library to see if they can copy John Wallis's pamphlet , it's called 'A Plea for Kenilworth' and includes copies of letters he exchanged with the Vicar and Bishop ( and the Archbishop of Canterbury ! ) about his dismissal. I'd be fascinated to find out why he was dismissed.
Strange that he came from a long line of shipwrights , entered the Church and then became a shirtmaker !

Thank you once again for doing this - I'm glad you enjoyed it too !

Colin
ColinB

Postby meekhcs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Colin according to google books the following libraries hold a copyBangor University

Bangor, Gwynedd, LL57 2DG United Kingdom
Book Map It Library info

Add to favorites

Library information

Other formats
Bangor University also holds these formats:
2. National Library of Scotland
NLS

Edinburgh, Scotland, EH1 1EW United Kingdom
Book Map It Library info

Ask a librarian

Add to favorites

Library information

Other formats
National Library of Scotland also holds these formats:

I jusy googled the name of the pamphlet and John Wallis

Sally
meekhcs

Postby ColinB » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:55 pm

Thank you Sally. I had seen there were a couple of other copies about but I think my best bet is to ask if BL will copy theirs - depending on the cost , of course ! It's a pity there isn't a copy online .

Colin
ColinB

Next

Return to Photo identification