Moderator Control Panel ]

John Wallis - 1861 Census

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Re: John Wallis - 1861 Census

Postby ritah » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 am

You're welcome Colin, I'm sure we'd all like to know why he was dismissed too! Let us know if you get any further.

Regards Rita
ritah

Postby ColinB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:30 am

I've put getting the pamphlet copied on the backburner for now as it was going to be rather expensive ! However I've managed to find out a little more from the Leamington Spa Courier. J P Wallis seems to have been an eager young man who ' prided himself on plain speech'. He apparently considered himself to be a ' martyr to the cause of the Gospel in the profane town of Kenilworth ' . (Has it changed much , Ritah ? ) In his pamplet he warned of dire consequences to the Church of England if he was dismissed and compared himself to Wesley ! The newspaper suggests that he was trying to provoke the Church into dismissing him entirely as a Dissenter. I don't know how long he remained an Evangelist at the Mission Hall but it seems he either tired of it or turned to shirt making as a financial necessity !

This has turned into a Research Topic rather than an image query so apologies for being on the wrong board . Thanks to all for your help and interest .

Colin
ColinB

Postby carlineric » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi Colin

May be worth getting in touch with the National Library of Scotland. I had a look at their catalogue and in the "Staff/MARC21 view" it states it is a "Digitisation on Demand Candidate".

Eric
carlineric

Postby ColinB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the info. I shall have a look and compare their charges with the British Library !

Colin
ColinB

Postby ritah » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Hello Colin

I laughed when I read the line about the profane town of Kenilworth, I don't think the current residents would consider themselves profane nor probably the majority of people in John Wallis's time would have done either!!!

Do let us know how you get on, I am now intrigued by this man.

Rita
ritah

Postby christy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Can I ask if this chap is a relative?,

regards
Christy
christy

Postby ColinB » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:42 am

Hi,

Certainly you can ask and yes he is. He's my second cousin 5 times removed - his grandfather was the brother of my 5x Great Grandfather. It's not a particularly close relationship but I have been making quite a wide study of this Wallis family as I find them very interesting. If you would like me to go into more detail please send me a PM.

Colin
ColinB

Postby christy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi colin,

I am Great granddaughterx3 (I think),lol. I lost a lot of the research through a virus on my computer a few years ago.Charles was my grandfather, Robert pixley wallis his father, and so on

Regards
christy

Previous

Return to Photo identification